GO!

Do we open our hearts again?

If you are wondering what is the right cat for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about purring and learning.

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 18)  
1  2  
Murphy

Between naps

Purred: Mon Feb 5, '07 7:50am PST 
I agree with everykitty, and I think you should do what you feel is right in your heart. I got Sawyer and Murphy just one month after Nicky died. There's no way he could ever be replaced, but there was this enormous gaping hole in my heart, and I couldn't stand it. I needed them desperately. They didn't/won't/can't replace him, but they have helped me cope tremendously with his loss. I felt guilty a few weeks later about adopting them, but a dear friend pointed out to me that Nicky is so happy I'm not denying other kitties the love I'd given him. Maybe you should still meet the Siamese just to see if it feels right. I'm betting it will.

Sawyer and Murphy's mommy
[notify]

Hudson

House of- Brindles- Commander-In-Chi- ef

Purred: Mon Feb 5, '07 8:24am PST 
My mommy had a similar dilemma after she lost the big brother I never knew, Winston.

Mommy didn't want any more cats but a year later found my big brother Sebastian in a dumpster. She swore no more cats because it was too hard to say goodbye to them. But she thinks Sebastian was 'sent' to her. I guess she could have taken him to a vet and found him a good home, but she kept him and she's never regretted it. I've even heard her say that if Winston and Sebastian ever met, they'd be great buddies.
[notify]

Winnie

Where are my- tummy rubs huh?

Purred: Mon Feb 5, '07 8:26am PST 
I got thinking about this more after your post, particularly about your other cat. Do you really think Mew would want his friend to be alone. I was really glad when I lost Taz I didnt have another cat who also lost her. I look at Chester and Winna and they are SUCH good friends, I worry alot how one will cope if something happens to the other one. It kind of makes me wonder if 2 is the wrong number of cats also and it shouldnt be 3 as the right number, so if one is lost there will still be buddies together.

I think in this case you need to think not only about your feelings and needs but about your remaining cats also. Go visit the new babies!!!!
[notify]

Mew (In- LOVING- Memory)

loved more than- anything in this- world

Purred: Mon Feb 5, '07 12:45pm PST 
Mew left behind a sister and a brother. But she was VERY close to Stella. Stella is now exhibiting signs of grief/mourning. She will not use any of the items that she and Mew shared, like the cat cottage or the big fluffy towel on top of the radiator. She was always a talker but now she 'cries' and then sits in my lap (like Mew used to do). When she does this, I talk to her, saying I understand how she feels.
We don't want to rush into anything though. We want to make sure that all parties involved are comfortable with a new addition.
[notify]

Phoebe

I'm Fusky! (I'm- furry and I'm- husky!)

Purred: Fri Feb 9, '07 4:54am PST 
If you are a cat lover, the cat will find a way to open it.

I did not wait as long as many people do after Spice was gone to find a new cat to share our home. I knew no cat would ever replace Spice. I also knew that I simply 'couldn't keep house' without a cat. I was initially alright while I searched for the new member of the family (I knew I wanted a tortie...but not a dilute, since Spice was dilute) because...even though I cried every day, I still had her bowls out in their normal spot, so it 'looked' okay when I saw them. After the first weekend, my husband took the bowls up. Then it was worse to see that empty place.
I found and adopted Phoebe 11 days after Spice was put down...and, ironically, it was also the day I got the call that I could come and take Spice's ashes home. So, Spice came 'back home' on the same day that Phoebe came home for the first time. It seemed right, somehow.

Edited by author Fri Feb 9, '07 4:58am PST

[notify]

Mew (In- LOVING- Memory)

loved more than- anything in this- world

Purred: Mon Feb 12, '07 12:01pm PST 
Love might be coming quicker than we think! We got a call from our local shelter late Saturday afternoon saying that they had just gotten in a baby boy that they were going to put on hold for us to look at (pardon the poor grammar). We go this afternoon and I have to say I am getting excited! Although I think we all just thought we'd get another little girl, if he's the one, he's the one!
I had mixed feelings Saturday night, wondering if it was too soon. But as my husband pointed out, the news of this little boy came to us, not we went searching. It must be Mew making sure her sister Stella isn't too sad and her human sister Tori can feel good again.
We'll see if shelikes him and he likes her.
Thanks everyone!
[notify]

Nico

Come here, let- me love you

Purred: Wed Feb 14, '07 1:44pm PST 
Well, I guess mommy and daddy both had bigger hearts than they thought. We all know I am not a replacement for Mew. I could never be. But here I am in my new home. Right now, I am maxing and relaxing in mommy and daddy's bedroom. But they've been spending lots of time with me. Im anxious to explore but mom says I have to take easy for the next few days. I guess because I have stitches and all that nonsense.
My human sister LOVES me and I love her. When we first met, I put my paw on her cheek and kept giving her kisses on her chin! She liked that!
Well, thanks for all the good advice to mom and the family, everyone!
[notify]

Pippin

Can I have a- straw?

Purred: Wed Feb 14, '07 1:55pm PST 
Concats on your new home, buddy! We think Mew would be delighted that Stella's got a new friend smile Of course you won't ever replace Mew, but you'll have a new place of your own in everyone's hearts!
[notify]

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 18)  
1  2