GO!

Difference between American & Domestic shorthair?

If you are wondering what is the right cat for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about purring and learning.

Calla

Calla Lilly- Creeper

Purred: Fri Jan 12, '07 10:10am PST 
What's the difference between an American shorthair and a Domestic Shorthair? I noticed Catster delineates between the two in the choices under "breeds".
[notify]

Booger

Purred: Fri Jan 12, '07 10:29pm PST 
The Domestic Shorthair is the equivalent of the 'mutt' in the canine world. The American Shorthair is a recognized breed (i.e. purebred) and is recognized by the CFA. I listed a website below for you that I think is very informative.

http://www.cfainc.org/breeds/profiles/american-sh.ht ml

~Booger~
[notify]

Gracie

Amazing Grace

Purred: Fri Jan 12, '07 11:48pm PST 
I'm a domestic short hair, Brown tabby, the rescue group that Mom adopted me from thought I might have some Bengal cross, because of my very distinct (and Mom says beautiful) marbled markings.
My Vet's office thinks, and Mom agrees, that with my body type, and my markings, it's more likely that I am an American Short Hair cross. I may be a mutt, but, Mom says she'll keep me smile
Interestingly, in a lot of pictures, I photograph Silver Tabby, not sure why. I love mixed breed Cats, Mom and I agree, its fun and interesting to try and guess our roots smile
Gracie
[notify]

Lydia (10-26-99 to 10-13-08)

Got snuggles?

Purred: Sat Jan 13, '07 12:12am PST 
Domestic shorthair cats can be any coloring combinations, and any breed combinations. I'm a domestic shorthair, with some siamese and who knows what else. Everyone else in my family is domestic shorthair, except Carbon (domestic long hair).
[notify]

Hunter

Lazy, Lazy, Lazy

Purred: Sat Jan 13, '07 10:03am PST 
Booger is correct. ASH is a purebred cat. DSH is a mixed breed. DSH cats can be mixed with an ASH, but unless one were purchased from a breeder or rescued from an organization that rescues specific breeds, chances are that kitty would be a mixed breed.
You would be considered a DSH.
[notify]

Amalia

Saving humans- since 2004

Purred: Sun Jan 14, '07 1:36am PST 
May I add, Hunter: "you would be considered a Wonderful, Great, Awesome DSH" laugh out loud
[notify]

Hunter

Lazy, Lazy, Lazy

Purred: Sun Jan 14, '07 6:35pm PST 
Thanks Amalia,
That's very sweet of you, but for the record...I'm a medium hair cat (DMH) :}
[notify]

Boomer- 10/30/1972 - 2/20/1996

World\'s best- kitty, Queen of- the house.

Purred: Sun Jan 14, '07 7:07pm PST 
Too bad, Hunter, because if you had shorter hair, you would be a DiSH!!!!! (I think you're handsome!!)

Love, Boomer:

Edited by author Sun Jan 14, '07 8:36pm PST

[notify]