GO!

8 hours is it all that bad?

This forum is dedicated to places that people and cats can enjoy together. If you want to travel, sight-see, or just go around town with your cat, then you've come to the right place! Don't forget to plan a visit to Catster's Pet-Friendly Travel Area! Book travel and support Catster.

Odin

Purred: Sat May 31, '14 1:21pm PST 
So In about a month from now I'm going to be moving and my roommate and I will be driving, the drives about 8 hours. So recently I bought my little odin a carrier, and I've been taking him on short trips around town to get him used to being in a car and and the carrier with all the car noises and movements, ect. Will a month be enough time?
[notify]

Purred: Mon Jun 2, '14 12:21pm PST 
My girlfriend drives to her parent's place on the border of Mexico with her cat, about 7 hours, and she never has a problem. It depends on the cat though, I imagine.
[notify]

Marlin- Purrkins

Welcome to Wild- Kingdom!

Purred: Mon Jun 2, '14 2:17pm PST 
I travel regularly with my 2 boys. I started when they were very young, but I have a kennel in the back of my car complete with a bed, a litter pan and a perch. They crab a little a first and then they settle down. We've never driven more than 4 hours from home, though.I do not offer food and water while we are traveling because they get carsick.
I think 8 hours in a carrier might be a bit excessive, for a young cat. Could you provide the cat with a bit more space? Maybe a very large carrier that a small litter pan would fit in? I put a puppy pee pad over the litter for easy clean up on a longer trip. I keep small garbage bags in my car for odor control and ease of disposal. On a long trip like that I would certainly offer water at least once and maybe some type of food in limited quantities.
I put harnesses on my cats and have leashes available to help control them if I have to open the kennel on the road. This is for safety - I certainly would noot want one (or both) of my boys loose on the side of a busy highway.
I think you are being very smart by trying to get this cat used to traveling before you actually hit the road for the long trip!
Good luck and have a safe journey.
[notify]