GO!

Leaving my baby when I deploy to Afghanistan

This forum is dedicated to places that people and cats can enjoy together. If you want to travel, sight-see, or just go around town with your cat, then you've come to the right place! Don't forget to plan a visit to Catster's Pet-Friendly Travel Area! Book travel and support Catster.

Achilles

Little guy with- a big heart!

Purred: Fri Feb 6, '09 3:33pm PST 
I posted in a forum around May of 2007 about leaving my cat when I deployed to Iraq. Well, it is Feb of 2009 now and deployment is upon me again. I will be leaving in April/May again to go to Jalalabad and won't see my sweet Achilles until I come back on mid-tour leave. I got SO much wonderful support here last time and I am happy to report that Achilles seemed to forgive me for being gone for so long. He is with my mother in Texas and she spoils him rotten for me and is only one I trust with his safety and well-being. I would like to come up with some new ideas to cope with the separation for me and for him. What do ya'll think?
[notify]

Ben

I fetch,- therefore I am.

Purred: Fri Feb 6, '09 8:21pm PST 
I'll have to think and do some research on new ideas for you, but in the meantime, I just wanted to say thanks again for your service to our country.
hug

Diego

I'm bringing- sexy back

Purred: Fri Feb 6, '09 9:45pm PST 
Sorry you have to deploy again. You are very lucky to have someone to take such good care of Archilles. It makes me so sad to read posts where people are looking to re-home their pets because they have to deploy.

How about making a recording of your voice that can be played from time to time. A good one is a item that smells like you. A t-shirt or something you wore will remind him of you. Maybe you can mail him one from time to time. It sounds strange but I bet he would love it.

Be careful out there and thanks for serving our country.
[notify]

♥- Suey- ♥

Loved

Purred: Sat Feb 7, '09 1:13am PST 
Hi Achilles! wave

We spent the month before dad left forcing him to give mum his sweatiest clothes. She has them stored in ziplock bags. She made sure each t-shirt had a pair of socks and undies paired with it, for extra stink factor. She will be getting a new t-shirt out every 3-4 weeks to put on our cat tree. She also had dad sleeping on our blankets, and bagged each after he'd slept on them for a week. The blankets he has on his computer chair got the same treatment.

Mum made video of dad playing with us, and talking right into the lens. We like to watch it (especially Fui). She also talks to us about him, and tells us several times a day that dad will be home soon and we'll all be together again (as much for her as for us, we think).

She has also been putting a couple of drops of Rescue Remedy in our water bowls, as we have had a bit of seperation anxiety in the past.

Mum established a routine for us before Dad left, and has tried to stick to that routine as much as possible. It's been made harder in that we've had torrential rain for the last three weeks, but she tries to feed us, get up, and go to bed at the same time each day. The idea is to minimise disruption to us as much as possible.

Good luck, and stay safesmile
[notify]

Louis- Armstrong - ILM

I'm walkin' to- New Orleans.....

Purred: Sat Feb 7, '09 4:22am PST 
We think you have gotten some great suggestions. Our meowmy was talking about you just about a week ago. She said I hope the solider who had to leave her kitty Achilles is well and back home......and here you are again!

Please know that our meowmy prays for all those who are serving our country and we send soft paw pats and purrs to you and all the other women and men in the military....WE LOVE YOU!!! We are glad your mom took such good care of Achilles, and know he will be fine when you leave him again.

Take care, and be safe.....

Patriotic Purrs,
Louis Armstrong, Emma Barrett, Benny Grunch, Pete Fountain and Charmaine Nevillewavehug
[notify]

Achilles

Little guy with- a big heart!

Purred: Sun Feb 8, '09 11:46am PST 
Thank you for your input and I appreciate the support. It's an honor for me to serve in the Army. When I started thinking about what I was going through with leaving him by himself (even though I do have someone taking care of him) I realized that I can't be the only one, so I started a group called "Military Cats!". If you see anymore people posting about trying to find homes for cats left behind, tell them to join my group and it can be discussed. Thank you again!
[notify]

thomas

top cat tom

Purred: Sun Feb 8, '09 11:57am PST 
its,nt it crazy just how much our furry friends get to our hearts bless um. There is no good way to help with separation of any kind but someone you totally trust with their care is the biggest thing you can do for them hey .Stay safe out there
[notify]

Binks

Little boy in a- cat suit

Purred: Mon Feb 9, '09 8:57pm PST 
Is it possible to make a recording of his meow and get it on an ipod to take with you? (I'm slow to learn new technology... is that possible?) Maybe hearing him will help you feel closer to him until you get back. With your mom taking care of him, I feel it is you who needs more comforting. You are amazing to make the sacrifice you do for your country. I know your mom (and your baby) are proud of you.
[notify]