GO!

What to bring when picking up new kitten out of state

This forum is dedicated to places that people and cats can enjoy together. If you want to travel, sight-see, or just go around town with your cat, then you've come to the right place! Don't forget to plan a visit to Catster's Pet-Friendly Travel Area! Book travel and support Catster.

Cadillac

Purred: Thu Aug 21, '08 8:06pm PST 
I live in California and in October my new parents are taking a 5 1/2 hour drive from Las Vegas to pick me up. What should they bring to make me as comfortable as possible? I don't want to just be put in a carrier! Would love some advice!

Edited by author Thu Aug 21, '08 8:08pm PST

[notify]

Benny Grunch

Will Meow for- Treats!!!

Purred: Fri Aug 22, '08 10:40am PST 
Well, a soft blanket to put in the carrier, some toys, carry some treats with them. A couple of plastic bowls, one for water, one for food or treats.

Doubt you would need a litter box for that short a trip, but they could pick up a disposable one, to have just in case.

Good Luck,
Benny Grunch, Louis Armstrong, Emma Barrett, Pete Fountain and Charmaine Neville
[notify]

Polly

Please love me

Purred: Sun Aug 24, '08 8:22am PST 
If you're current parents will allow: it would be very helpful to you if they'll let you travel with a blanket or bed that you've been using - something that smells of home. Perhaps your new parents could bring a new bed (of whatever type your current parents specify) in trade for one that you've been using.

BTW, the plastic bowls will be fine for the trip, but ceramic or stainless steel should be used at home; some kitties develop acne from the plastic.

Happy traveling!
[notify]

Zoe our- Princess- 4ever Loved

In Memory of our- Shadow Dancer

Purred: Tue Aug 26, '08 6:41am PST 
When I travelled to my new home (via airplane) my furst Mom had put a diaper on the bottom of my carrier. It was soft and absorbant and probably she used double sided tape to keep it in place.

Safe journey and I'm very happy you have such loving pawrents to ask about such details. applause way to go
[notify]

♥Mor- gan The- PirateGato

You Gotta Love- Me, I'm a Pirate

Purred: Tue Aug 26, '08 10:16am PST 
Have your parents take a t-shirt or soft blanket, and use it so their scent gets on it. Send it to your breeder, so you are comfy with their smell right away.

When they pick you up, they should have a nice large carrier for you. A Blanket in it, and a small litter pan. An alluminum square pan works great - and Yesterdays News is perfect - less messy for travel. You should have a dish hanging inside with some water - ice is better so it melts and stays cold. And some dry kitten food.

I travel 4 1/2 hours to Cornell for my eye surgery in my pirate carrier. I did great in the car.

Good Luck

Morgan
[notify]

Little Coqui

I is at my- furever home!!

Purred: Tue Aug 26, '08 2:52pm PST 
When Mommie tooked me up north with hers, just shortly after I comed to live with hers, she set up a big soft-sided crate in the back seat of the cars. She could attach it with seat bealts, so it wouldn't moves around when the car turned. She puts in a little litter box, some foods and water and a couple of my favorite toys. She broughts the smaller carrier along to takes me from the car to the house (making sures she switched me between carrier before opening the car door!!) She also puts in a nice soft blankie fur me to lie on. I didn't mind traveling at all!! Purrrs, Little Coqui
[notify]