GO!

I'm leaving on a jet plane...

This forum is dedicated to places that people and cats can enjoy together. If you want to travel, sight-see, or just go around town with your cat, then you've come to the right place! Don't forget to plan a visit to Catster's Pet-Friendly Travel Area! Book travel and support Catster.

Harvey

Has been COTD!

Purred: Thu Aug 21, '08 5:41am PST 
(Meowmy's ashamed to admit it, but she remembers when this song was NEW. Old, old, old Meowmy!)

I'm going to a cat show in Hokkaido (the island above Japan's main island of Honshu) in October. The policy here seems to be to put cats in cargo--which is pressure and temperature controlled. My cat show friends who have done this before say it's no problem, but I'm wondering if I'm going to go bonkers in such a strange place. On the other hand, I am a Zen master capable of retreating into my own head when faced with unpleasant situations, and have never had any problem with any other vehicle before. Meowmy's going to ask Dr. Vet about sedation, but we're arriving just a few hours before the show, and I don't want to go on the judging stands looking like I've been on a bender.

Any other cats out there who have flown cargo? Care to share your stories?
wave
[notify]

LuLu - Now an angel

Prettiest eyes- on Catster

Purred: Thu Aug 21, '08 12:12pm PST 
Hi Harvey. I flew on a big ol' jet plane once. I flew from the west coast to the east coast so it was about a 5 hour flight. Me and my sister Furie went together in one GIANT carrier in the belly of the plane. Mom was so scared but she couldn't take us both in the cabin.

Our vet gave mom a sedative to give us about 1 hr before taking off. It made us very very sleepy. We were still pretty out of it when we got there. If you have to perform right after you get there, I wouldn't recommend it since ours lasted about 6-7 hours it seemed.

How long is your flight? We did really well and nothing bad happened to us. Mom cried almost the whole time because she was so worried. Ha! We were just chillin'.

Good luck with the flight and your cat show.
[notify]

Harvey

Has been COTD!

Purred: Thu Aug 21, '08 6:37pm PST 
Thanks, Lulu. Love that "we were just chillin'." Humans always worry too much, don't they?

The flight takes off at 7:30 a.m. (ha ha, Meowmy's got to get out of the house before 6 a.m., and she's not a morning person) and the cat show starts at 1 pm. The flight itself is about 90 minutes, and then there's a 40 minute train ride and a taxi ride to the show hall. I'm cool on trains and in taxis.

I agree with you that drugs probably aren't a good idea, especially since I'm such a laid-back guy, but Meowmy will ask her cat show friends and her vet for advice.

Would still love to hear from others about flying cargo!
dancing
[notify]

Spike

Tubby tabby- love!

Purred: Sat Aug 23, '08 3:21am PST 
What? No one's ever flown in the hold before? Meowmy's worried that the cages get treated like suitcases--are spit out of a big hole on top of the luggage conveyor belt, with Fluffy going round and round and round upside down. Tell me it ain't so!
wave
[notify]

Alex

Scaredy cat

Purred: Fri Sep 12, '08 5:03am PST 
My family & I will be flying to a new place - my brother & I can't be in the cabin with the rest of the family....

Oh my, is it true that we will be treated as luggage?

Now, I'm really scared; especially we can't share kennels - not allowed by the airline.
shock
[notify]

♥- Suey- ♥

Loved

Purred: Fri Sep 12, '08 7:22am PST 
I'm hoping Harvey and his mum will give us a full account of his flying adventure once he is safely back home. We are moving next year, and would love to hear some feedback from those with practical experience. Something tells me though, it will be harder on mum!
[notify]