GO!

Moving from New Jersey to South Carolina

This forum is dedicated to places that people and cats can enjoy together. If you want to travel, sight-see, or just go around town with your cat, then you've come to the right place! Don't forget to plan a visit to Catster's Pet-Friendly Travel Area! Book travel and support Catster.

Pixie

I am the Little- Miss

Purred: Tue Jul 22, '08 8:34am PST 
Well, my husband and I are moving to South Carolina soon to buy a house and we know or three cats will love all the extra space! However, we are going away for two weeks to finish closing the deal and we have arranged for my mom to come and stay with our cats throughout the day to feed and play with them. When we do actually move, we are going to drive and it will be a 14 hour drive. Should we ask the vet for something to keep them calm and sleeping during the drive? Is it really safe for the health of our cats to give them such medication?
[notify]

LuLu - Now an angel

Prettiest eyes- on Catster

Purred: Tue Jul 22, '08 11:35am PST 
You all should be fine without medication. I have driven coast to coast twice in my life. My sister Furie would cry for about the first 1/2 hour but then totally chill out. Good luck on your move.
[notify]

Matilda

Leave me alone.

Purred: Fri Aug 22, '08 5:31pm PST 
We moved 1/2 way across the country in May. It was about the same length of a drive. Our vet gave us anti-anxiety medication (a low dose of Valium) but we were afraid of the health risks that we found when we did some research on it at home. We decided not to give them the Valium. They were fine. They each had their own carrier. We fed them in the morning, waited for them to use the litter box, and then we left. They stayed in their carrier until we were at our hotel. They used the box and ate but not right away (they had to check out the room first). Same routine the second day.
[notify]