GO!

US to Qatar - Near Saudi Arabia

This forum is dedicated to places that people and cats can enjoy together. If you want to travel, sight-see, or just go around town with your cat, then you've come to the right place! Don't forget to plan a visit to Catster's Pet-Friendly Travel Area! Book travel and support Catster.

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 17)  
1  2  
Lucy Nooner

Chatterbox

Purred: Tue Jul 1, '08 5:34pm PST 
Hi Sunrise,

Sally was sedated on her airplane trips. Mom gave her a pretty low dose (can't remember the medicine); she was awake the whole time but pretty mellow.

I don't know about sedating for such a long trip. Talking to your vet about it will probably help you figure out what to do.

Safe travels!
Lucy
[notify]

Sunrise

The- Chemists's- Assistant-

Purred: Wed Jul 2, '08 2:55pm PST 
Thanks Lucy!
Will talk to VET and write soon.
[notify]

Jester- (1988-2007)

Purred: Thu Jul 24, '08 10:56pm PST 
When I flew from UK to Oregon USA I had to go as cargo. We used Airpets International and they were good.

I wasn't sedated as the vets said it was safer not to be.

The biggest risk to travelling pets travelling as cargo is that they get too hot/dehydrated during the stop overs. Ask the company you use specifically what they do to prevent this - water provided/refilled, air conditioned waiting area etc.
[notify]

Sunrise

The- Chemists's- Assistant-

Purred: Fri Jul 25, '08 3:44am PST 
Update: We are traveling with the family on board!!! We will be partially sedated also. We leave for Miami Aug. 1rst and leave for Qatar Aug. 6th. (For the 12 hr car ride we will also be sedated.)
[notify]

Lucy Nooner

Chatterbox

Purred: Fri Jul 25, '08 5:28pm PST 
Hi Sunrise! wave

I'm so happy to hear that all family members get to fly on board! Wow, it's such a big trip you are taking. Good luck and let us know how it goes!

Purring for safe travels for you and your family,
Lucy and family
[notify]

Miki - Forever In- Our Hearts

If it's worth- saying, say it- LOUD!

Purred: Sun Aug 3, '08 2:43am PST 
Have a safe trip!
hughughug
[notify]

Eddie

I'm in the- dictionary next- to "fabulous"

Purred: Tue Aug 5, '08 9:48am PST 
I work for a major international airline and also am the guardian of 13 cats. Here's my advice: bring the cats on the plane with you. Do not check them. I worked at JFK in New York and had to look for cats that escaped.

Here is the stuff you will need:

*2 soft-side carriers
*food for the trip (even though they will probably be too stressed and perturbed to eat)
*a small disposable litter box with litter (in case you end up in a hotel mid-trip unexpectedly)
*a small spray bottle of enzyme cleaner (3 ounces or less; the best way to accomplish this is to transfer some from a larger bottle into a smaller one because they don't sell 3 oz. sizes) in case they pee in the carrier. You can spray it on immediately upon the cat peeing.
*extra towels for lining the carrier
*nylon harnesses. These are invaluable for getting the cats through airport security.
[notify]

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 17)  
1  2