GO!

Airplane travel and medication question

This forum is dedicated to places that people and cats can enjoy together. If you want to travel, sight-see, or just go around town with your cat, then you've come to the right place! Don't forget to plan a visit to Catster's Pet-Friendly Travel Area! Book travel and support Catster.

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 18)  
1  2  
Sassy, i.e.,- Sassafras

Purred: Fri Jul 4, '08 7:23am PST 
Well, we survived the trip with no problems. Sassy had 1/2 an acepromazine and did meow a little bit but NOTHING like the first time we flew. When we arrived at our destination a few hours later, she was back to her normal self and has settled in well at her new temporary summer digs!
[notify]

Lucy Nooner

Chatterbox

Purred: Sat Jul 5, '08 7:45am PST 
So happy to hear that the trip went well!
[notify]

Arnold P.- Sweetie Boy- Forever

Sweetie-boy

Purred: Sun Jul 6, '08 8:56am PST 
Sorry to be late with this response, but I flew a few weeks ago and did much better on Xanax than I ever did on Ace. Ask for that next time. The only time I cried was when Mom went to the bathroom and I couldn't see her feet.
[notify]

Boris

I'm cute and I- know how to use- that :)

Purred: Tue Jul 8, '08 11:41pm PST 
I got that from the vet too. Mom didn't have to use it after all (we drove, instead, and I do ok in the car), but it's good to know that it works but does not zombify you.
[notify]

Link

Life is an- adventure

Purred: Tue Jul 22, '08 4:00pm PST 
My vet recommends not using sedatives for plane rides. In my experience, my Burmese's piercing meow was still quieter than the roar of the engines and human infants crying. So, with all the crazy noises on planes these days, your cats meows probably aren't going to ruin a flight for other passengers. If a cat wants to meow, let him or her meow - better than risking medication that purposely knocks them our or affects their personality/mood.
[notify]

Albert

Purred: Tue Aug 19, '08 1:13pm PST 
I took Albert on a plane trip in 2004. The worst part was when I had to take him out of the cat carrier going through security. It was awful and I thought he would claw me to death!!! They send the carrier through the X-ray machine.

He was fine without medications while on board the plane. I hope your cat is not going down in cargo. Most airlines allow small pets on the plane as long as you have a regulation airplane carrier for him/her. There is an extra fee of course.
[notify]

Java,- Beloved- Angel

Where is the- food?

Purred: Sat Oct 4, '08 9:57am PST 
I am so glad that I found this topic. My mom is going on a trip next week and is bringing me a new baby brother when she comes home and she is worried about him making a fuss on the plane. She is taking him to the vet the day before she comes home so I will make sure she reads this so she can talk to the vet. We have some pet calms, but that might not work. The baby is only 4 months old so we are going to have to be careful if we use anything on him. She will be making a Catster page for him as soon as she gets him home.
[notify]

Arnold P.- Sweetie Boy- Forever

Sweetie-boy

Purred: Sun Oct 5, '08 11:03am PST 
We flew back home this week and I was a maniac the entire time. Now Mom realizes it was because I had to pee. So she has found a disposable litter box for me if we ever have to do it again. If I had had one between flights, I think I would have been okay. (I am hoping to NEVER travel again!)
[notify]

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 18)  
1  2