GO!

Harness product reviews for travel

This forum is dedicated to places that people and cats can enjoy together. If you want to travel, sight-see, or just go around town with your cat, then you've come to the right place! Don't forget to plan a visit to Catster's Pet-Friendly Travel Area! Book travel and support Catster.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Braxton M.- Fiddlesticks

Hey guys,- where's the- party?

Purred: Thu Jun 12, '08 5:03pm PST 
I'm hoping to get some feedback in regards to specfic types of harnesses that have worked for other traveling cats.

My person and I are moving to Stillwater, Oklahoma in a couple of months. After my fractured hip heals, we're going to start harness training. I will only be on the harness while I am supervised in the car. I will mostly ride in the crate but my person wants to give me some supervised walk-around time inside the car when we stop. She wants me on a harness because exploring is one of my favorite things to do.

My person will not use a standard figure-8 cat/other domestic harness based on a previous bad experience. However, she is wondering if anyone has tried the Gentle Leader Come-With-Me-Kitty, a small dog harness, jacketed, or mesh harnesses with good results. We're looking for something solid and safe and it is darn hard to find good product reviews!
[notify]

Khina

Don't breed or- buy when shelter- pets die

Purred: Fri Jun 13, '08 2:21pm PST 
Braxton,

Gordie and I use a simple H style harness and we've never had any issues with them. No one has ever escaped from them and there is no choking hazard like there is with the figure 8 (which shouldn't be made in my opinion). We go outside for walks all the time. We live in an urban area on a busy street and our people feel completely confident that we're under control. Even if there's a freakout.

I know other kitties have great success with the walking jackets and those seem like they would work very nicely too.

Good luck! Remember to be awfully patient while you're being harnessed trained. Sometimes it can take a while to get used to it.
[notify]

♥- Roxy- ♥

Polydactyl Maine- Coons Rule!

Purred: Fri Jun 13, '08 11:09pm PST 
I recently bought a "cat car harness" from Pet Edge. It doesn't seem very comfortable though.
[notify]

Braxton M.- Fiddlesticks

Purred: Sat Jun 14, '08 5:27am PST 
Thank you both for your suggestions! I'm glad you mentioned the cat car harness wasn't very comfortable. I am also looking into the Gooby New Freedom Harness (for dogs) and the Puppia mesh harness (also for dogs). Does anyone have experience with those? The only problem is the neck is not adjustable and I am a sneakercat...
[notify]

Church

I'm a model!

Purred: Sat Jun 14, '08 2:56pm PST 
I am thinking of buying a Puppia "Modern Vest Harness B" to use as a car harness....
[notify]

Cheyanne

♥ Simbas Lucky- Wife! ♥

Purred: Sat Jun 14, '08 10:44pm PST 
Mine is just like a dog harness. Bought it at Petco... Great!

But somewhere along the line, its become lost, and now I need a new one. *sigh*
[notify]

Braxton M.- Fiddlesticks

Purred: Sun Jun 15, '08 3:43pm PST 
Thanks for the suggestions, again, guys! We just went and tried on a Puppia harness and it fit GREAT. My person ordered it in black.

Church - we also looked at the Puppia Modern Vest Harness. It looks really secure but the only downside is it doesn't have a lot of room for adjustment. The fit would have to be really darn close (and I am a sneakercat and would have that outfit off in seconds). Still, we liked the design of that one, too, but when we tried it on, it didn't fit between the front legs very well, either. It could be that I'm still growing and I'm in the gangly teenage stage, so it would be fine for adult cats... The back has a velcro strip and the buckle but there's only about a half an inch of flex room for adjustment.

As soon as the harness comes in I'll let you know how well it works. My person was also thinking about the seat belt option and this puppia harness will double as that while I'm small enough (it is very broad across my chest and between my front legs) but we'll see if I need another one when I am older. It doesn't put any pressure on my neck at all at this point.

Thanks again for your help, everyone! Please continue reviewing - if anyone has found anything that works for them, please let us know!
[notify]

Church

I'm a model!

Purred: Sun Jun 15, '08 9:03pm PST 
Yes please let us know how you like your Puppia harness! Is it the regular Puppia one?

The only reason I haven't bought a Puppia Modern Vest Harness already is because I figured it didn't look very adjustable so we're going to wait I am fully grown... I just turned 8 months old and I am 9 pounds and still growing and my human doesn't want to have to buy two if I outgrow the first one!
[notify]

Braxton M.- Fiddlesticks

Purred: Tue Jun 17, '08 8:43am PST 
Church:

Of course we will let you know! I'm just under 5 months old so I'm going to grow, too....so we ordered the normal small Puppia mesh harness. My person figured that would give me enough room even when I'm adult (the neck part is pretty loose now and the chest strap is adjustable). smile We need one soon because we're leaving in August and I have to have one!

My person is supposed to pick it up next Monday.

Do you have any stores nearby that actually carry the Puppia brand? It made a big difference when we saw the harness in person!

We will post a review as soon as it comes in. smile
[notify]

Church

I'm a model!

Purred: Tue Jun 17, '08 6:12pm PST 
Yep the store where my human buys our food carries Puppia harnesses, so I will probably be able to go there in my stroller one day and try it on before buying.
way to go
[notify]

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2