GO!

moving to wyoming by car HELP

This forum is dedicated to places that people and cats can enjoy together. If you want to travel, sight-see, or just go around town with your cat, then you've come to the right place! Don't forget to plan a visit to Catster's Pet-Friendly Travel Area! Book travel and support Catster.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Jessie James

keep that door- open and i wont- hurt you

Purred: Sat May 31, '08 10:10am PST 
my dad and his family are moveing to wyoming, but since my dad is afriad of the idea of flying and thinks that with his luck they would lose me like the last time they lost his luggage, we have to drive.

he says its a 3 day trip and he doesnt know what to do.
we'll be traveling with another cat who doesnt really like me all that much, and a bird.

my dad wants to figure out the safest and easiest way to get me there without stress.

can anyone help us?
[notify]

Cleopatra- 8/4/96-7/18/- 13

Cleopatra~Queen- of de Nile

Purred: Sat May 31, '08 3:54pm PST 
I would recommend separate carriers for the cats and of course for the bird too. Mom always straps our carriers in the car with the seat belt for added safety.

Some cats can take a tranquilizer, but they say that for others it is ineffective or can create the opposite effect. We dont get tranquilizers when we are traveling. I dont need one, but Sebastian drives all of us bonkers. Mom usually cranks up the music to drown him out... Andrew Lloyd Weber seems to work quite well for that... MOL...

You might want to have a small litter pan in the car but make sure to not have the doors open when you let the cats out... mom once used a harness for me, but those can come off.

I would suggest getting a Renuzit, but that may not be good for the bird (I am not an expert by any means, but I read somewhere where certain chemicals and strong smells can be toxic to birds).... but if there is a safe for birds odor control product go for that...
[notify]

Abbie- (always in- my heart)

I'm fat, I'm- fluffy and I'm- full of love

Purred: Sat May 31, '08 8:41pm PST 
We drove from Atlanta to the Seattle area with two cats and it went surprisingly well. The most important thing is to keep them in their carriers at all times except for in the hotel rooms and when you let them out for a potty and snack/water break (I carried a small litter box with me, which the cats never used in the car). Be sure your car doors are closed when you let them out for their breaks.

In the hotel room, be sure that you block any places they could hide (like behind the bed) that would be difficult to remove them from. This from personal experience!

Also, if you leave them the room alone, remember to keep the Do Not Disturb sign on the door. I did not allow housekeeping at all - especially since we were just staying overnight.

Bring their medical records with you and make a list of animal emergency hospitals on your route. Also, I would make hotel arrangements beforehand so that you can find places that will accept pets. Many hotels only accept pets in their smoking rooms, so it was hard for me to find any that could put me in non-smoking. If this is important to you like it is for me, ask about it when you make reservations.

Like I said, our six-day trip was highly uneventful. My cat, Sasha, cried for an entire day, but after that, she was quiet. Abbie and Sash both seemed to enjoy the hotel rooms. They even got to see Mt. Rushmore!

Good luck to you - on your move and in your new home.
[notify]

Jessie James

Purred: Sun Jun 1, '08 12:14pm PST 
we already have the bird situation all thought out. we will be traveling in the spring so that the bird can stay in his cage in the car. the cage is big.
we have our seperate carriers... well i do at least.... grandma needs to get one for Katz. we wont be spending alot of time running around in the hotel room since Katz hates me. so we are getting harnesses so that we can walk around and stretch a bit when we get to rest stops.
i think we're gonna keep small litter boxes in the back of the carriers just so that we dont have to worry about any accidents. either that or pet pads.
Im really nervous. I know im going to cry for a while but i will ententually stop and be quite and take a nap.
[notify]

Bonnie

Bonnie the- Beautiful &- Bonnie Lass

Purred: Sun Jun 1, '08 7:47pm PST 
Hi there, I travel with 4 cats from June through December every year. Either PetSmart or PetCo (can't remember where I bought it),has the most AMAZING invention - a Pet Guard which I put behind my driver's seat (and passengers) gated across the backend of my SUV.

I have the entire back end padded with several layers of blankets (for when 1 may get car sick the first 10 miles down the road ;-)
I can easily remove the one layer and they all settle down within a few hours.

We spend months on the road and with the PetGuard, I can remove the fronts of their carriers, so they can walk back to their kitty box, though at every rest stop - I refresh their water - and give them at least 1/2 hour or so to get a drink or bite to eat - though for the most part they only eat after we stop at night. The 2 that don't like each other in the house "ride" next to each other during our trips, then get "hissy" when back inside LOL One likes to just hang out in her open carrier, and one curls up inside a round cat tube.

IF the night time temps are cool enough, with the petguard and the windows left cracked, they are more comfortable staying in the vehicle. If too hot at night, they go back into the carriers and we bring them into our 5th wheel with us.

I would NOT let a cat out on a harness for any reason, especially during stressful traveling. Any tiny thing will have them slipping out and dashing away in TERROR.

I also keep my car on with the A/C for them even during stops - they can overheat quickly. Gas prices UGH, but it's for THEM so I willingly waste that - what? maybe 1 or 2 gals of gas during a 4-5 day trip by leaving the car on at rest stops? Worth their lives smile
[notify]

Jessie James

Purred: Sun Jun 1, '08 9:30pm PST 
that actually would work except that we have to travel with 2 cars, one is an SUV that will be packed up with people and clothes, and a ford focus that my dad drives. i do wear a collar and i do have a leash so my dad was thinking that maybe he would keep my carrier open in the of his back seat of his car with my litter box inside, and keep me on my leash and run my leash through the seat belt in the back so i cant climb all over him and tim while he trying to drive.

Katz might be able to hang out on someones lap since there are going to be more people traveling with her. that might even keep the kids from fighting. if one drives with dad and one with grandma and grandpa
[notify]

LuLu - Now an angel

Prettiest eyes- on Catster

Purred: Sun Jun 1, '08 9:51pm PST 
Like Abbie's mom, my mom drove me and my sister Furie from Atlanta to Portland, TWICE. The big reason to keep you in the carriers is that in the event of an accident you will not go flying. Even if you have a seatbelt around your leash it probably won't be enough to keep you safe.

I wouldn't worry too much about needing the litter box when you are in the car. We had one available but would not use it until we got to the hotel room at night. Speaking of a hotel, if you get the AAA guide books they show which hotels in the area are pet friendly. I also second Abbie's recommendation on checking for hiding spots. I found a tiny place behind the headboard and boy it was a nightmare to get me out. After that mom looked around before letting me out and blocked any little areas off.

One last suggestion is to make sure you are shaded from the sun. Even though you are traveling in spring, the sun in the car can get very hot. Just have a towel or two available to block out the sun if needed.

Good luck on your move.
[notify]

Jessie James

Purred: Sun Jun 1, '08 10:16pm PST 
ok thanks. I guess Im staying in the Carrier.... But i will tell you that i will not like it.lol. we intend to travel in the spring and even then, my dad is always hot so we will most likely have the air conditioner on.
[notify]

Boris

I'm cute and I- know how to use- that :)

Purred: Thu Jun 5, '08 3:37pm PST 
Jessie,

reconsider getting out during your stay at the Hotel. You and the other cat might hate each other, but you will need time to decompress. When traveling from Chicago to Seattle recently, I looked forward to the car being stopped to go to hotels so I could stretch my legs, poo, pee, and eat stuff. It was also a lot easier for mom and dad to give me much deserved TLC.

I usually am pretty vocal the first hour I am in the car, but I usually relax. Mom does let me out of the carrier because I don't like it, but she folds one of the back chairs down because I like to go hide in the crawl space there. It feels safe and secure (much smaller than the carrier), so I can snooze away peacefully most of the time, and have been known to take a potty break or two when we stop for gas.

Mom got me used to car riding when I was less than a year old, but don't despair. If you have time, take the cats on short car rides and treat them to treats afterward to get them to feel more comfortable about the process.
[notify]

Abbie- (always in- my heart)

I'm fat, I'm- fluffy and I'm- full of love

Purred: Thu Jun 5, '08 8:15pm PST 
I agree. Abbie and Sasha loved getting out of their carriers and hanging out in the hotel rooms. And don't worry about them not liking being in the carriers in the car. They do settle down after a bit and usually just take the opportunity to nap. While I would let them out in the car for potty breaks (with the doors closed), they never used the litter box I carried in the car. They waited until the hotel rooms for that.
[notify]

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2