GO!

From Montana USA > Wellington New Zealand

This forum is dedicated to places that people and cats can enjoy together. If you want to travel, sight-see, or just go around town with your cat, then you've come to the right place! Don't forget to plan a visit to Catster's Pet-Friendly Travel Area! Book travel and support Catster.

Angellus- R.I.P.3APR03- -25JUL13

pooky - loveable- teddybear

Purred: Tue Mar 18, '08 6:20pm PST 
kitty

So I will be moving from the U.S. to New Zealand at the end of the summer this year. I was looking at some of the airlines and their rules for pet travel. both Air new zealand and qantas do not allow international pets into the cabin. Kitty has to travel as cargo in the pressurized and heated area. frown but it also said something like, kitty had to be checked in through a pet transport service?? Does this sound right? so I can't do it myself? -sigh- Anyone ever travelled to new zealand with pets, from the U.S??

help!shrug
[notify]

Diego

I'm bringing- sexy back

Purred: Tue Mar 18, '08 7:00pm PST 
Have you looked into the regulations allowing pets into New Zealand yet? I found this great site with all kinds of international pet travel information. Maybe you can find something there. I am linking directly to the New Zealand info but poke around the site after you read that.

Pet travel to New Zealand

Good luck on your move. We have been learning a lot about New Zealand life for kitties lately. One of our friends, Mr. D, is missing there and his family has been telling us all what a kitty paradise it is.
[notify]

Purred: Tue Mar 18, '08 9:42pm PST 
oooh thank you so much!! I will be doing alot of extensive research to get prepared and I am certain that the site you posted will be very helpful!! thank you! I will keep things updated as i go through this process for anyone else who might be doing the same sort oftravel. smile

thank you!

kittyway to go
[notify]

Purred: Wed Mar 19, '08 10:17am PST 
kitty

Well, I just called my vet and set up an appointment to get the whole process started. this friday at 9a.m.

yay!!f all goes well and according to plan, then me and Angel kitty should be on our way to New Zealand in late September. I know that's still a fair ways off, but theres alot to do in the meantime.

So i'll be taking all his previous medical records and all the info i've printed out from the new zealand biosecurity website with me. Angel was previously going to make a trip to Japan..(about two years ago) so he already has a microchip implanted. Since he is supposed to be microchipped before any rabies or blood tests, thats good and works out well. let's hope it still works smile

way to go
[notify]

Diego

I'm bringing- sexy back

Purred: Wed Mar 19, '08 10:25am PST 
Glad you got it all going. I have never had to look up any international travel but I was surprised that you have to start 6 months out.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Purrrs, Diego
[notify]

Purred: Sat Jun 14, '08 2:05pm PST 
Well, just updating. Kitty boy has had his bloodtests and gotten the rabies titre results back. He has also had this information sent off to the import export permit liscense. He has that info back , but we have not yet filled out the info as it has to be done 30 days prior to travel, so gotta wait a bit to do that. I "will" be setting up his booking at the quarantine facility though, and securing the info i need for the transport service. All this stuff to do and most of the hard stuff is to get kitty over there with me. hehe My ticket and stuff is the easy stuff. party

It's coming along, slowly but surely!! We have 121 days left to go!!kitty
[notify]

Purred: Sun Jun 22, '08 6:32pm PST 
Well, I am in the process of trying to find a vari-kennel for kitty. The import travel paperwork specifies a traditional vari-kennel , not the deluxe type. It also says to have a food and water bowl that bolts onto the door. I can find food and water bowls, but none that "bolt" to the door, the ones i seem to find all just hand on the door...any ideas?thinking

113 Days to go!hamster dance

Edited by author Sun Jun 22, '08 6:35pm PST

[notify]