GO!

Traveling by plane with mom or staying home

This forum is dedicated to places that people and cats can enjoy together. If you want to travel, sight-see, or just go around town with your cat, then you've come to the right place! Don't forget to plan a visit to Catster's Pet-Friendly Travel Area! Book travel and support Catster.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Daisy

I love my mom- like a fat kid- loves cake.

Purred: Sun Jan 6, '08 3:36pm PST 
I have to go to PA to be maid of honor for my sister's wedding. Usually when I travel, Daisy stays with my parents but they're going to be in PA for the wedding as well. I have the option of bringing her on the plane with me but it's going to be such a short trip that I'm afraid it will be too stressful for her. Do you think it will be okay for Daisy to be alone for an entire weekend while I'm at the wedding? I'm worried leaving her home alone because she's never been home by herself.
[notify]

Benny Grunch

Will Meow for- Treats!!!

Purred: Mon Jan 7, '08 8:34am PST 
Is there a neighbor or friend who could come in and check on Daisy? This sounds like it would be better than trying to take her with you. Traveling to a strange place, with strange people and all the comings and goings of a wedding would be very upsetting to a cat. Even worse, she might get out and get lost.

Our suggestion would be to leave her at home and have someone check on her mid-day on Saturday and then mid-morning on Sunday. Good Luck!!

Benny Grunch
[notify]

Smokey

I am the QUEEN!

Purred: Tue Jan 8, '08 3:31am PST 
We don't like travelling very much. And on a plane? No, thank you! Our mommy leaves us at home alone for up to 3 days. We don't like it, but it's better than traveling. We get plenty of kibble and water and several litterboxes and we do okay. If it is longer than 3 days we get a cat sitter to come and check on us and play with us.
[notify]

Binks

Little boy in a- cat suit

Purred: Tue Jan 8, '08 3:44pm PST 
If you were going to be gone longer, I would say bring her. But flying is very stressful to kitties, so for a short weekend trip, I wouldn't do it. Plus, having to stay in a hotel, mostly unattended, while you are celebrating the wonderful occasion with your family would be stressful, too.

Is there a friend or neighbor you trust to look in on her? You might also check with your vet to see if any of the vet techs also work as pet sitters. This is what I have always done. When I lived in Memphis, my best friend was always my official cat sitter. In Atlanta, I found a great sitter who was a vet tech. Out here in the NW, my mom takes care of the kitties for me. But she's not really a cat person, so I'm looking for a kitty sitter I could trust.
[notify]

MORTICIA

brat princess- with sharp claws

Purred: Thu Jan 10, '08 8:54am PST 
i would leave her home. it's only a weekend. she would be more stressed alone in a strange place than at home. if you can't find a sitter, buy another litterbox and get an automatic feeder.
[notify]

Daisy

I love my mom- like a fat kid- loves cake.

Purred: Thu Jan 10, '08 3:51pm PST 
Thanks everyone for your responses. Daisy is my first cat (also first ever pet) and I'm learning my way.
[notify]

Punkin

Don't leave me- out of the fun!

Purred: Sat Jan 12, '08 1:55pm PST 
Put out an extra litter box, get one of the waterers that has enough water for the weekend, and there are food dispensers, too. Unlike a dog, a cat can do very well for several days alone, although she will be very pleased to see you back!
[notify]

Sophia Marie

I be a princess.- No touch! Just- admire

Purred: Mon Jan 14, '08 2:31pm PST 
Any more, with all the new regulations of what you can bring on board, I just wouldn't even bother with taking any pet, for any trip unless you are moving. and even then i'd probably try to drive.
[notify]

Dolores

Purred: Tue Jan 15, '08 2:23am PST 
My meowmy has left us alone for weekends and we have been fine. Just make sure there is plenty of food and water available. Of course, we usually give her the cold shoulder for an hour or two after she gets home...except for Laszlo who is such a meowmy's boy.
[notify]

Gabriel

Purred: Wed Jan 16, '08 11:48am PST 
HEllO there,
I was last year taveling to France and with me on the Airplane was a lady with a cat. Boy , that cat was not afraid at all. I guess it depents on your Cat. If your cat is use to everything and does not get stresst out easy you can take her with you , but if you think it will stress her to be in an Airplane and a diffrent enviroment then I would not take the cat with me. I would always do what feels best for my pet. You are the person that knows your pet best .. cheer
yours Gabriel
[notify]

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2