GO!

High cost air travel!?!

This forum is dedicated to places that people and cats can enjoy together. If you want to travel, sight-see, or just go around town with your cat, then you've come to the right place! Don't forget to plan a visit to Catster's Pet-Friendly Travel Area! Book travel and support Catster.

Maxwell

Mad Max Beyond- Litterdome

Purred: Mon Dec 31, '07 11:06am PST 
Oh my furballs! We're being moved from our home in Sicily, Italy because our human daddy is getting a new duty station in the United States again. Our human mom just found out the cost to fly us on a military flight is $92 each - not fainting yet even though there's 3 of us flying it's still not horrible. However, if for some reason we can't fly on the military flight - the military has the final say on how we all fly - and if we have to take a commercial flight on AlItalia Airlines the cost to fly us is 130 euro each cat....now I'm feeling faint and seeing starts. 130 euro? that's nearly $200 to fly with peoples luggage???? And we don't even get a movie or a blanket & pillow.
My human mom is broke and in tears over this whole high cost travel issue and my human daddy suggested to her the other night that maybe they should "get rid" of us...I don't even want to know what that means. My human mom says she's not giving up.
Does anyone know who we can talk to about these crazy prices? or does anyone know where we can get some help paying our way on the plane? We have to act super fast too...our plane is supposed to leave on January 7th!
[notify]

Beatrice- (Miss You!- '94-'12)

The very Beast- of all

Purred: Tue Jan 1, '08 7:56pm PST 
These prices sound pretty typical for transporting pets internationally.

The best suggestion I can give is to try checking with other airlines and see if any of them have better rates available. Being so close to your travel date, though, could make it more difficult.

Is there any word on the military flight?

Sam

Rub my belly!

Purred: Fri Jan 4, '08 2:17pm PST 
I would be reluctant to put you guys with cargo...is there a price for bringing you guys as carry on? Do you have a relocation contact in the military who can help you work this out?
This is a link for a group that does pet foster care for military personnel http://www.alphataxservices.com/military/classifieds/petfostercare.a sp
they might have some suggestions or funding help. I would also see if you're a member of a church at home if they might be able to "donate" to help you guys out
[notify]

Maxwell

Purred: Thu Feb 7, '08 8:12pm PST 
Yes it's been a while since I've posted...haven't had computer access. We ended up having to leave Sicily without our cats but are vigorously attempting to get them here to the United States with us. I am just sick without my furchildren.
Maxwell's Mom

PS: We're basically forced to send them as "cargo" since we won't be flying with them...that is unless someone is planning a trip to Italy and wants to bring them back for me. smile
[notify]

Maxwell

Purred: Fri Mar 7, '08 7:06am PST 
Hello my good friends! I just wanted to post and let you all know that Kashmere, Szandor and I have arrived via the big white thing in the United States. My human mom says it cost $600 for our tickets on the big white thing, $100 for us to get a health certificate and $325 for us to stay overnight in some place called Milan, Italy. She said Milan has a quaranteen kennel fee. Just something to keep in mind should you ever travel to Italy with your fur children.
I arrived with a scratched up nose, Szandor has a bloody eye and Kashmere was covered in her food but otherwise we are safe and sound.
[notify]

Diego

I'm bringing- sexy back

Purred: Fri Mar 7, '08 11:58am PST 
We are very happy to hear that you are home again. That sounds like an awful trip and so expensive.

Purrrrrrs
[notify]

Beatrice- (Miss You!- '94-'12)

The very Beast- of all

Purred: Fri Mar 7, '08 10:51pm PST 
Wow! I'm sorry to hear you had such a rough trip and that it cost your mom so much, but the good news is you're back together!

Hurray!!! cheer