GO!

Need any possible help!! Traveling to South Korea from JFK, New York

This forum is dedicated to places that people and cats can enjoy together. If you want to travel, sight-see, or just go around town with your cat, then you've come to the right place! Don't forget to plan a visit to Catster's Pet-Friendly Travel Area! Book travel and support Catster.

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 18)  
1  2  
Fatso

friendly &- scared

Purred: Tue Oct 24, '06 11:12am PST 
Thanks Tito~

I did contact the pet moving companies. They are extremely expensive. About 2000 dollars for two cats. I would rather purchase two more seats and bring them into the cabin~ lol. Well. It is just way out of my budget so I don't think I can consider that.

I will buy the soft carriers in case I can not check in Pretty and Fatso into the Cargo. Thank you for the tips on the soft ones. I have noticed that they can easily escape if they wanted to. Do you have any recommendations that are good (soft carriers)? All I have seen at Petso and PetsMart were pretty weak. People say that the Delta soft Carrier is good but others say that it is weak and cats can destroy the sides and escape if they wanted to. I am concerned. frown

Thank you for your continuous advice!! Give me more!! :0)

Joon+Fatso+Pretty
[notify]

Smokey

I am the QUEEN!

Purred: Tue Oct 24, '06 4:07pm PST 
I have a very nice leather soft-sided carrier ($60, I think). If they put their mind to it they may be able to get out (rip the mesh), but generally I think they would be safe. If you have your pets in the cabin you might consider a mild sedative to calm them down. It is not recommended when they travel cargo as the cargo hold might not be pressurized and so you don't know how the sedative will work. In the cabin it should be safe though (ask your vet). I am saying this because I wouldn't look forward to get 2 freaked cats out of the carrier during security checks (yes, they have to come out of the carrier and the security people are not exactly patient).

General info: http://www.petflight.com/
[notify]

Fatso

friendly &- scared

Purred: Tue Oct 24, '06 4:34pm PST 
Smokey~ You are such a great advisor. I will ask my vet about that. And, will look for steady soft carrier. Thank you!!
[notify]

Hunter

Lazy, Lazy, Lazy

Purred: Sun Nov 5, '06 10:01am PST 
Definitley do not give a sedative if travling cargo, as the animals have a difficult time w/ temp. regulation while on sedatives. As far as food and water, I would not leave food in the carrier, as they will probably not eat anyway, due to the stress, but leave some attached to the carrier, so they can be fed on layover. Water will spill in the carrier, so leaving a bowl out is not an option, however, you can get them trained on how to use a rabbit/rodent water bottle, as then they would have access to the water, but small amts and it won't spill. Definitley use wee pads in the carrier, as if they have to urinate, the pads will hold in the moisture. The last thing you want is the cats to have to sit in a wet box for 15 hrs. We just moved and it was a 2 day trip in the car. I didn't eat the morning we left, go a small meal that night at the hotel. Urinated 1 time in the hotel and did not defecate once. If you decrease the food, chances for stool are also decreased.
Definitely get a health certificate, as it's needed for flying. Double check w/ your airline as to the time frame. Some airlines say w/in 30 days of travel others say w/in 10 days. Verify w/ the S. Korean consulate to make sure you have all necessary documentation to bring kitties into the country.
http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/cis/cis_1018.html

http://www.seoulsearching.com/livinginseoul/pets.html
[notify]

Fatso

friendly &- scared

Purred: Sat Nov 11, '06 10:25am PST 
Thank you a lot! My dad arranged it so that we can go in the cabin. Can we be given the sedatives then? United Air really sucks. They do not know what they are talking about as they say different things each time my dad calls.

Hope we will be able to travel safely.

THANKs
Joon&Fatso&Prtty
[notify]

Hunter

Lazy, Lazy, Lazy

Purred: Sat Nov 11, '06 11:50am PST 
If you are flying in the cabin, sedatives can be given, however, I would suggest trying them out before the trip. It is not effective in some kitties, and can sometimes have the opposite effect. If you do well in your carrier, then sedatives are not really necessary, but if you freak out or get really stress, then sedatives may be the best option.
Good Luck.
[notify]

Oliver

Don't eat your- veggies!

Purred: Sat Nov 11, '06 12:27pm PST 
WHOA!!!! My head is spinning! I hope you will be ok on your trip there! I would get dizzy! Well good luck Fatzo!
[notify]

♥Mor- gan The- PirateGato

You Gotta Love- Me, I'm a Pirate

Purred: Sat Nov 11, '06 3:56pm PST 
If you fly in the cabin you can be in a soft carrier. If you are flying as Cargo - it has to be the large plastic carrier.

Line the carrier with about an inch of newspapers, then shred a bunch on top. Then you can put a soft towel or blanket in the crate.

Expect that when you get to the airport, you will be asked to remove the cats from the crate so that TSA can bomb test the crate. Depending on the level of Security the day they fly, TSA may also pat the cats down to check for bombs under their skin.

Definately freeze ice to put in the water dish. Tape some food to the top of the carrier, just in case the flights are delayed.

Mom works with flying dogs all the time from Puerto Rico to CT. Last month she had to fly two dogs back, and she had to do all the bomb tests and pat downs. And the pups flew as cargo!

I flew on American from Puerto Rico in a soft carrier on Hector's lap in the cabin. I was a good boy and I slept most of the way.

United has a good record on flying pets. Most airlines have gotten a lot better since the FAA insisted that they report everything now.
[notify]

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 18)  
1  2