GO!

Carriers: Hard or Soft?

This forum is dedicated to places that people and cats can enjoy together. If you want to travel, sight-see, or just go around town with your cat, then you've come to the right place! Don't forget to plan a visit to Catster's Pet-Friendly Travel Area! Book travel and support Catster.

(Page 1 of 4: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  
Little Ma Ma

Spoiled rotten? - No, I'm spoiled- sweet!

Purred: Fri Jun 23, '06 1:35pm PST 
Mom's looking into getting a new carrier for us (our other one is getting worn out, plus we often travel with more than one of us, so we need two anyway) and have always used the traditional hard sided carriers. Mom's been looking at the soft ones, and is thinking about getting one of those. Which is better? Which do you use? What are the pros and cons of the soft carriers? Would we try to scratch out of it?
[notify]

Diego

I'm bringing- sexy back

Purred: Fri Jun 23, '06 1:42pm PST 
Hi Little Ma Ma. We have only ever had hard carriers. If you look down in this topic Katie started a thread called "A really cool carrier." This thing is the best. Its very roomy and really easy to get us kitties in and out of. There are links in the page on where to get it. I posted a link of a place where they are on sale.

Good luck beautiful.
[notify]

Hunter

Lazy, Lazy, Lazy

Purred: Fri Jun 23, '06 2:28pm PST 
Since the bottom of the soft carrier isn't rigid, it makes it difficult for carrying. I am a fan of the hard ones.
[notify]

Danny

Danny Boy

Purred: Fri Jun 23, '06 4:02pm PST 
I would also be concerned that the stitching on the soft carriers would wear out. Mom puts a small towel in my carrier so I have something soft to lie on.
I liked the carrier Diego talked about. A bit too pricey for us, though!
[notify]

Pearl

Attitude Is My- Middle Name

Purred: Fri Jun 23, '06 5:57pm PST 
I prefer hard carriers, because if they get banged around and stuff, the cats don't get squished and they can still breath (air holes on all sides).
[notify]

emma

you're not the- boss of me

Purred: Sun Jun 25, '06 7:12am PST 
My mom got a fancy soft carrier for us because it vents on three sides and we use it to sit on the porch. My sister loves it and hangs out in there, but I feel like the ceiling is coming down on my head - i don't like it! It's hard to know how we will react or what we will like unless you try it....I didn't help much did i...sorry smile
[notify]

Toulouse

Athena stole my- heart and has my- love!

Purred: Sun Jun 25, '06 1:34pm PST 
Mom has two carriers for me -- one for winter and one for summer. She likes the hard one for winter because it keeps me warmer. She doesn't like the cold weather and tends to fling me around a bit getting me in and out of the car. (I'm a bit on the heavy side). But for the summer, she has a soft carrier because it allows more air to circulate. There are so many different styles as well as prices. Good Luck on your search!
[notify]

Orca The- Killer- Kitten

It's a tux thing

Purred: Sun Jun 25, '06 3:31pm PST 
My mom has a sherpa bag carrier for us. My brother tried to claw the mesh netting but was unsucessful. She leaves it out near our toys and sometime my brother will sometimes go into and sleep. I on the other hand am too smart to fall for that and will not go into any carrier willingly. Ok I might if it was a paper sack, I love being carried around in paper bags...smile
[notify]

☆Zoril- la☆

When in- Doubt...PURR!

Purred: Sun Jun 25, '06 7:33pm PST 
We have both, they each have pros/cons.
Hard Carrier:
-Sturdy, durable
-must be used if you are flying
-good if you may get banged around a bit

Soft Carrier
-Easy to carry, it has regular straps and a shoulder strap. Mom has seen some with wheels and some that can be carried like a backpack
-Very comfy, ours is fleece lined and mesh on 3 sides so we can see. Zory sleeps in it, and Lucy doesn't put up a fight when going to the vet(the same can not be said for the hard carrier, that's a 20 minute scratching ordeal).
-Looks nice, ours is sitting right in the living room. It has denim on the top and cat paw prints on it.
-Has storage, we keep our vet information, collars, and comb in the outer pocket at all times.
-Can be a toy, ours unzips on both sides and Zory runs through it like a tunnel.
-Can be a "convertible". The top unzips and there is a little latch to hook your fur baby's coller. This way you can pet her while you drive but don't have to worry about her running around the car. This is more a perk for small dogs, but a good bonus.

Zory's carrier is from PetSmart, it's a Companion Road brand. We've had it a year with no rips or anything.
We did once get a cheap soft carrier which both cats figured out how to unzip!
Expect to pay more for a good soft carrier, but unless you're going somewhere by plane, we suggest it.

Edited by author Sun Jun 25, '06 7:37pm PST

[notify]

Athena (In- Memory)

Purrs and Love- to Mom and- Toulouse

Purred: Mon Jun 26, '06 7:02pm PST 
Mom bought a soft carrier for me because of the open-ness mesh. It has zipper openings at each end and one on the top. It has a carry handle and a shoulder strap. It's a very pretty black with rose flowers and it is easier for her to carry over her shoulder as opposed to carrying the hard carrier. But as soon as she puts it down, it collapses. And if I'm inside, it collapses on me! So it's back to the hard carrier for me.

(Page 1 of 4: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4