GO!

Moving an Older Cat

This forum is dedicated to places that people and cats can enjoy together. If you want to travel, sight-see, or just go around town with your cat, then you've come to the right place! Don't forget to plan a visit to Catster's Pet-Friendly Travel Area! Book travel and support Catster.

(Page 2 of 3: Viewing entries 11 to 20)  
1  2  3  
♥Mor- gan The- PirateGato

You Gotta Love- Me, I'm a Pirate

Purred: Sun Jun 18, '06 5:44am PST 
meows merlin

i would suggest you cat test the doggy - but he sounds ok. the local shelter can help. many dogs love cats - gyps and amber love us all. gyps even kisses the hammy - cept last time he bit her nose - mol - now he makes her nervous.

your mom can give you some rescue remedy in your water the day of the move. it will relax you a lot, and it's natural. leaving you with the granparents will break your heart. mom left nikki with her parents when they got married - no pets allowed in the apartment.
nikkie was hearbroken, 2 weeks later mom was crying to the landlord, and he let her bring her home.

mom has to type with one hand cause i refuse to move on her lap, and if she does, i will fall on my head.
[notify]

Merlin (1996- - 2007)

Secretly Demonic

Purred: Mon Jun 19, '06 12:41pm PST 
Still reading all of your advice, thank you!!

I will hear about this job tomorrow or Wednesday...crossing my fingers.
[notify]

Sis - In Memory

Sweet Sissy

Purred: Thu Aug 3, '06 10:28am PST 
By mom: If this helps any, our Sis is over 10 and has never been around dogs before, nor had she ever left our Wisconsin country house she grew up in. We moved her to the city of Chicago, with dogs and noise all around. At first she was stressed, inside all the time to get her used to being here. I would bring her to the house on weekends - she complained the whole way there and back. I couldn't decide if it was worse to leave her here or travel with her. I decided to forego the visits and get her used to the city condo full time. After 8 months she seems much happier here with us now, than she ever did at the house or with the kids who are still there. She settled into the new neighborhood and gets along fine with the dog next door.
Every cat I ever had seemed to be much happier with us as her family than the place where she lived.
[notify]

Sugar -- in loving- memory

Purred: Fri Aug 4, '06 7:37pm PST 
So, Merlin, what happened? You can't keep us in suspense!

I'm really glad I got to read all the responses, cause I'm an older diva (I think I'm about 13 -- I'm a rescue, so the folks with opposable thumbs aren't sure) who's set in her ways, and my mom's taking me in the car with her from Texas to Virginia.

For those of you who have done the overnight in a hotel,
1) Did you stay in a chain and what was your experience?
2) Was the second morning (and the third...) as bad as the one before?

Mom's considering doing a half a dozen short trips instead of three long days so there will be more snuggle (and litter box and treat) time in the hotel, but I howl when I get in the car now to make sure all the passersby know I'm trapped in there with someone who's actively disemboweling me, so she's trying to weigh the pros and cons. What do you guys think?
[notify]

Merlin (1996- - 2007)

Secretly Demonic

Purred: Mon Aug 7, '06 9:50am PST 
I'm back! We finally moved up yesterday (Sunday). OK...so he did better in the car than I thought. He cried for the first hour and a half regularly, then began to quiet down. I had his crate in the passenger seat and I covered it with a towel so he could not see out, per recommendation of the vet who gave him a rabies shot the night before. I kept my right hand in the cage for the majority of the trip and he leaned his head on it a lot. If we were on a poorly-paved interstate (hey western Pennsylvania you've got some re-paving to do!) he would start crying a little. He didn't throw up the entire way until we were about 20 minutes from our destination.

Yesterday and all night long he stayed under the living room couch, which had actually come from my parents' house a few weeks prior. He was horrified of this new place and slept under the sofa all night (which is very unlike him).

So today, I brought his pan, food and water into the bedroom and closed the door. He did eat and drank some water, and also used his pan. But for the most part he is staying under the bed. I work from home so I will be here with him during the day.

I feel so bad. What can I do to help make him more comfortable? Kolbe the dog is living downstairs in his brother's apartment for the week so Merlin is up here without any other animals for now. I also sprayed some furniture with that Feliway spray. What else can I do to make him feel better? I feel so guilty to see him this way...
[notify]

Sugar -- in loving- memory

Purred: Fri Aug 11, '06 8:41pm PST 
Yaaaay, Merlin! Congratulations. Now you've just got to show that dog who's boss. I'm sure you'll start settling in to that new place any day. Course, I hid under the bed at my last new place for two months, so look who's talking. smile

Anybody got any suggestions for me on how my mom should handle our trip? I'm gonna cut-and-pawste the relevant bits again so no kindly, helpful kitties have to scroll back:
    For those of you who have done the overnight in a hotel,
    1) Did you stay in a chain and what was your experience?
    2) Was the second morning (and the third...) as bad as the one before?
[notify]

Arthur (Miss- You!- '93-'09)

Bucket of Fuzz

Purred: Fri Aug 11, '06 9:44pm PST 
Merlin, I read your post and I was hoping that you just needed a little time to check out and adjust to your new surroundings.

How are you doing now? Any updates??

*purrs*

Keiko

Jade Empress,- Daughter of- Heaven

Purred: Sun Aug 13, '06 10:43am PST 
My Mom says: "When was a senior in high school my family moved to Barrow, Alaska. My Siamese cat was 10 at the time and *hated* to travel. As we knew she'd have to be flown up to join us 2 weeks after we settled in to our new home, my Mom took her to the vet to get some tranquilizers for her. It was a harrowing trip for her (not only did the friends that dropped her off at the airport NOT give her the tranquilizers, but she was in the hold with a loud Doberman that barked the whole way, and the plane ended up taking an extra side trip to Salt Lake City instead of coming straight up to Alaska, adding several hours to her trip!) but when we introduced her to the new home she bounced back amazingly well. For the first two days we just left her carrier in the living room and let her use it as a safe spot to come back to when she was done exploring, and after that time she was just fine.

Something I did with my Keiko when we moved to our new apartment was to wear a big soft oversized sweatshirt for a while until it had my scent on it, and wore that as I carried Keiko to the new place. Then when I took her into the bathroom with her bed, food and litterbox to keep her safe while we moved furniture, I simply took off the shirt and tucked it into her bed with her. It was warm, comfy and most importantly still smelled like me, so she didn't get distressed - she had familiar smells with her whether I was in the room or not.
I learned that trick when I was still nursing my son, and he used to have trouble sleeping when we visited my folks - I'd just tuck one of my sweatshirts in with him in the port-a-crib and he'd settle in just fine.

I also highly recommend Feliway spray for the inside of the carrier. It's lovely stuff and really works well!

Hope this helps you - have a very safe trip one and all!"
[notify]

Keiko

Jade Empress,- Daughter of- Heaven

Purred: Sun Aug 13, '06 10:45am PST 
Whoops! Looks like Mom didn't read all the posts before replying - silly Mom!

Oh well - maybe it will help another too. We're happy to hear you made it safely!

Purrs & Best Fishes,

Keiko! smile
[notify]

Emmett McGee- 4/15/94- 9/3/08

Outta My Way.

Purred: Sun Aug 13, '06 4:38pm PST 
Congrats on surviving your move! It's only right to scream and cry in the car (seriously! what do they expect?! the upheaval!), and then take your time adjusting to the new place. You sound like a very normal kitty. Just keep letting everybodyknow what they're doing wrong, so then they can get it right. You're lucky to have such a super-caring mom, and before you take TOO long to adjust, think about the alternative if she felt she couldn't move you....Purrs to you both!
[notify]

(Page 2 of 3: Viewing entries 11 to 20)  
1  2  3