GO!

Moving

This forum is dedicated to places that people and cats can enjoy together. If you want to travel, sight-see, or just go around town with your cat, then you've come to the right place! Don't forget to plan a visit to Catster's Pet-Friendly Travel Area! Book travel and support Catster.

Tigger

Because he begs,- Kitty-dog

Purred: Wed May 24, '06 7:57am PST 
We are moving far, far away. My Mommy is very worried about getting us there safely. It is going to take us over 13 hours of driving to get there and she doesn't know if that is too long to keep us in our roomy carriers? Suppose we have to use the litterbox? What about food and water? And, it will be too warm for her to leave us in the car so she can get something to eat? I guess she can leave us long enough to run to the restroom? And, I hate going in the car. I scream and scream until I don't have a voice left. Plus, I WILL NOT wear a collar, even in case I may get lost. It all sounds pretty terrible to me. Any suggestions? Thank you.
[notify]

Leela

Apollo's- Connecticut- Jungle Queen!

Purred: Wed May 24, '06 8:14am PST 
When Gramma, Grampa, Mommy and my uncle had to move their cat from Illinois to New York (2 days of driving), they had a harness and leash for Whistler so that he could go to the bathroom outdoors. It's not the optimum situation, but some things do have to be done when you're moving. As far as food and water, Mommy was in charge of making sure he had plenty of food and water. There weren't too many problems with stopping for something to eat, but the family made sure to do fast food and park the car in a shaded area with all the windows open about an inch. Whistler didn't like being in his pet taxi, but he got used to it. However, I would NOT recommend giving tranquilizers. They made Whistler REALLY dopey to the point where he was really listless and having problems doing the usual functions. Mommy was really scared.

Anyhow, I hope these tips help, and good luck!
[notify]

Leela

Apollo's- Connecticut- Jungle Queen!

Purred: Wed May 24, '06 8:14am PST 
When Gramma, Grampa, Mommy and my uncle had to move their cat from Illinois to New York (2 days of driving), they had a harness and leash for Whistler so that he could go to the bathroom outdoors. It's not the optimum situation, but some things do have to be done when you're moving. As far as food and water, Mommy was in charge of making sure he had plenty of food and water. There weren't too many problems with stopping for something to eat, but the family made sure to do fast food and park the car in a shaded area with all the windows open about an inch. Whistler didn't like being in his pet taxi, but he got used to it. However, I would NOT recommend giving tranquilizers. They made Whistler REALLY dopey to the point where he was really listless and having problems doing the usual functions. Mommy was really scared.

Anyhow, I hope these tips help, and good luck!
[notify]

Jordan

Devilish- Darling!

Purred: Tue May 30, '06 6:37pm PST 
Most cats hate travelling, I dont mind it but i have never been on a big trip like you are going on.

When we travel scared cats usually go into a mode where they just like to keep still and to be left alone, unlikely we will even think about number twos or ones while we are travelling, we have more important things to worry about such as where the heck are we going!

My suggesting, make sure kitty used litter before they are set to get into the carry cage and leave, start working at getting kitty to use toilet hour or so before you depart. Feed kitty the night before and if they have sometime to eat early then make it a very small meal, dont worry we will be ok without a big meal, less food means less reason to puke or poop.
When putting kitty in the car its important that you place a cover over the carry cage as if we see trucks and cars racing past we are going to freak out even more. Put the radio on to block out any nasty traffic sounds. Just give attention to us on each stop and check we are ok, dont worry if we dont drink or eat while on our travel as this would be normal. We will do this when we arrive at our new home.
NEVER open the carry cage while in the cage always make sure you are in a closed of secure place where we cant run away as if we have the change WE WILL RUN!

When you get to the new house pick one room and settle us into there.

Only speak to the vet about a light sedative if your a very stressful cat who travels terribly

Good luck, let us know when you get to the other end
[notify]

Sydney (Rest In Peace)

Maneki Neko

Purred: Tue May 30, '06 8:12pm PST 
My associate Mr. Pokey and myself only used the litterbox at night on the drive from NJ to AZ. 3 days in the car, no accidents.
[notify]

Ollie

I'm cute and I- know it!

Purred: Wed May 31, '06 7:05am PST 
Hi Tigger,

that seems like a big move eh? Well.. i would suggest that you get a harness with a leash... and maybe if your not moving right away... start wearing the harness around the house, so you kinda get used to it. Dont get a harness that goes only around the neck... kitties can still get out of those.. so get one that does go around the neck and belly.
If you really dont like car rides.... maybe you should take some gravol... that is what my vet suggested... but only take 12.5 mg for 8 hours... probably about half a pill. (Just double check). I will be moving as well.. and that is what my mummy plans on giving me.
another suggestion would be to not give any food or water when in the car. When your humans get out to stretch your legs, do the same for you. thats when mummy and daddy should give you your water and food. and dont forget about the kitty litter. I have heard that many kitties will not go....cause they are too scared.. and will wait until at night in the hotel room.
I wish you all the luck!!! and let us know how everything turns out!

Puursss
Ollie
[notify]

Artemis

Mexican Jumping- Cat

Purred: Wed May 31, '06 12:22pm PST 
Going to the restroom is no trouble. Just make sure your mom leaves the window open a crack. Food shouldn't be much of a problem either although I would recommend getting something to go or bringing a cooler of food for your mommy so she can eat it in the car with the door open so a cool breeze comes in or so she can stop with the air conditioning on if you are lucky enough to have it.

As for yourself if you refuse to wear a collar or harness then your mommy could have a very small littler box with a small amount of litter in it that she could offer you when you stop somewhere right in the car so there is no worries of you escaping. Then once you've done your business your mommy can put you back in your carrier where you're safe and just throw the litter out in a road side trash somewhere and put clean stuff in for next time so you're both not stuck in a car with litter. Although I know for myself when I am stressed (ie ridding in a car) I don't potty nearly as often (ie only at night). The same can be done with small dishes of food and water. You could even use disposable tin pie plates if you don't want to deal with mess or one of those enclosed litter boxes.

My sister, my parents and I all drove across Canada (it ended up being a 6 day drive) when we moved and it was a lot less trouble than my parents thought it would be. As long as you can stand and turn around in the carrier you will be fine and if you can be let out just within the car when you stop or on a harness outside (if you can tolerate it) that will be more than enough to keep you comfortable.

You'll be just fine!
[notify]