GO!

From Canada to Australia...can it be done?

This forum is dedicated to places that people and cats can enjoy together. If you want to travel, sight-see, or just go around town with your cat, then you've come to the right place! Don't forget to plan a visit to Catster's Pet-Friendly Travel Area! Book travel and support Catster.

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 15)  
1  2  
Izzy

Flizzy Floggles- Rules The Day!

Purred: Sat Oct 7, '06 8:12am PST 
I am gonna bump this right up now....mummy is considering heading to Australia in 2008 from England for a 12 mth working holiday but shes not sure about taking me and spencer as its a long flight and then quarantine for 30 days but 30 days without us is better than a year surely! Shes just worried she might not be able to find a house that will allow kittys to live in when she gets there though she would have a few weeks to look...dunno if i can live without mummy for 30 days though..
[notify]

Izzy

Flizzy Floggles- Rules The Day!

Purred: Sat Oct 7, '06 8:13am PST 
I am gonna bump this right up now....mummy is considering heading to Australia in 2008 from England for a 12 mth working holiday but shes not sure about taking me and spencer as its a long flight and then quarantine for 30 days but 30 days without us is better than a year surely! Shes just worried she might not be able to find a house that will allow kittys to live in when she gets there though she would have a few weeks to look...dunno if i can live without mummy for 30 days though..
[notify]

Molineux

I think I like- you.

Purred: Mon Oct 9, '06 4:39pm PST 
The quarantine period for bringing pets to Australia use to be six months but generally now is only a month. However, they will not guarantee it will only be a month.

Also note that right now The Australian Quarantine and Inspection Service (AQIS) says that all Australian animal quarantine stations are at full capacity and all stations are fully booked for several months.

People wishing to have their pets accommodated at an Australian animal quarantine station should apply for an import permit at least 5 months in advance of anticipated departure.

An import permit does not guarantee a space at an animal quarantine station.

You can read more about it here:

www.aqis.gov.au/dogcat

Also:

Departing Australia... depending on your destination you may need to have your pet vaccinated for Rabies as much as SIX MONTHS in advance (eg for travel to the UK) even though this disease is not present in Australia. Travel to the USA will probably require a stopover in LA after the long flight. Note: Choose your travel time wisely - your employer may have exemption from the Animal Freight embargo which occurs when temperatures are very high or very low in the USA or you may find there are extra costs involved to travel at these times. The web site for AQIS (www.aqis.gov.au) also carries information about animal departure from Australia.

Edited by author Thu Nov 2, '06 3:21pm PST

[notify]

Star

Purred: Mon Nov 13, '06 5:07pm PST 
Hi...me & my kitty family are doing the same trip but the other way around. I know you said you would buy kitty a seat, but sadly australia only allows them to travel into the country in cargo. No airline can take a cat to australia in the passenger compartment due to our quarantine laws. They won't even let them fly internally in Australia in the cabin. Hopefully one day this will change, but for now its the rules.
[notify]

Star

Purred: Mon Nov 13, '06 5:07pm PST 
Sorry, again accidentally double posted...don't know how my paws are doing that~!

Edited by author Mon Nov 13, '06 5:08pm PST

[notify]

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 15)  
1  2