GO!

The basics of feline allergy

This Forum is to meow about the very latest and greatest in the cat world: kitty news; must-have new products, toys and accessories; cat-friendly art, culture, and entertainment, and more!

Please be aware that while you are allowed to inform others about your product or service if it is in context and is part of an existing discussion, we do not allow unsolicited advertising in the forums. We will remove all posts that seem to be selling rather than informing. If you're interested in advertising on Catster, please contact us.

Purred: Fri Jun 1, '12 2:34am PST 
If you are dealing with an allergy to felines, don’t worry, you are not alone. According to EverydayHealth.com, “Between 15 and 30 percent of people with allergic reactions are allergic to pets, and feline allergic reactions are twice as widespread as dog allergies.” When I was little, I usually wanted an indoor feline, but my mother would never let me. Much as she liked cats, she hated managing her severe signs of feline allergy. For true feline lovers, however, the decision to go without feline business is out of the question. If you are in this circumstance, here are some tips on the best way to make your life more at ease. Locate the article here: The scoop about cat allergy

No cats allowed in the room

First, you should keep in mind that you are not really allergic to feline hair. Really, according to Krishna McCoy, M.S., “The offensive allergen is a protein shed from a cat's skin or hair and also contained in its saliva and urine.” To put as much distance between yourself and this protein as possible, keep kitty outside whenever you can, and out of your room when you can’t. This is supposed to prevent the worst of your allergy symptoms.

Take the time to de-clutter your house

A messy home makes for an ideal gathering of cat hairs and proteins. The more clutter there is, the more surfaces where feline hair can stick. Along the same lines, carpet makes for a veritable rug of cat hair because of how easily the hair adheres to the carpet fibers. To truly rid yourself of your worst allergy symptoms, invest in solid flooring like linoleum or hardwood.

Your kids and cats

If you’re worried getting a cat will increase your children’s chances of becoming allergic, stop. According to the May 2012 issue of Good Housekeeping, a recent European study of 6,300 adults found, “Adults adopting cats were 40% less likely to become allergic if they’d had one as a kid.”

Sources
EverydayHealth.com
[notify]