GO!

With all the rage, which feathers are your favorite??

This Forum is to meow about the very latest and greatest in the cat world: kitty news; must-have new products, toys and accessories; cat-friendly art, culture, and entertainment, and more!

Please be aware that while you are allowed to inform others about your product or service if it is in context and is part of an existing discussion, we do not allow unsolicited advertising in the forums. We will remove all posts that seem to be selling rather than informing. If you're interested in advertising on Catster, please contact us.

Brownie

I'm the Alpha- cat!

Purred: Thu Aug 18, '11 1:59pm PST 
So I have been searching for freeze dried cat treats, namely the fowl ones. One of my search returned a very interesting item, quail wings. I started to look at Cabela & Bass Pro & their online items before I visit them in person. I'm seeing quail wings, pheasant wings, pheasant skins & pheasant tail feathers. I thought these would have a really good gamey scent. The feathers from Michael did not hold their attention. Plus the dyed one would eventually molt & break down.

Have you bought feather for your cats?? Is one better than another??

I'm scared that some of them will not be in stock since women have been buy feathers for their hair. I keep hearing the fly fisherman are upset because of the low stock to tie the lures. I know some of you may not like this idea but hunter buy them to train their dogs. I currently have two rabbit pelts they love to play with them. I thought this would be a good fit in our house.
[notify]

Pandora

go getter kitter

Purred: Fri Aug 19, '11 6:23am PST 
Brownie, they won't have any gamy scent because the wings are cured. If it were me and I only wanted a few, I'd get peacock or pheasant feathers from the flower department at a craft store. Meowma buys feathers to sell at cat shows,andthe peacock ones are most popular though they tear up the fastest. pheasant tail fgeathers are also popular but a little more expensive. With all feathers, it's best for your human to hold the feather and wave it around for you to play with--unless it's a little puffy feather that tends to float around, we like those by themselves. We also like a small piece of feather boa--the fluff makes it look alive!
[notify]

Ralphie & Randy

Purred: Fri Aug 19, '11 8:39am PST 
Have you tried Da Bird? It's a fiberglass wand with a string, and guinnea feathers that attach with a fishing-lure type thing so the feathers spin through the air. Our cats both LOVE the thing. They get shredded fairly quickly, so we always keep refil attachments on hand.

Like yours, they're both also fond of their rabbit pelts, as well as their rabbit fur mice. Any toy with feathers is also a hit, and when the feathers inevitably get pulled out of the toy, they play with the feathers.

I'm glad you posted about the pheasant feathers. I have an idea that they'd love those too, and I'm going to check the craft and/or fishing stores!
[notify]

Tigger

Knead softly &- carry a big purr

Purred: Fri Aug 19, '11 8:46am PST 
hey we agree with Ralphie & Randy (a Christmas Story is a fav movie here!!) Da Bird is awesome! I have gone through many refills, but it never fails to excite all 3 of them!
[notify]

Brownie

I'm the Alpha- cat!

Purred: Sat Aug 20, '11 12:35pm PST 
Okay, I'll look at the pheasant tail feathers. I wanted to go to Cabela today but they were having a hugh sale. I'm afraid of the hugh crowds. That place gets crazy the closer it gets to hunting season. I was almost run over by a cart full of a duck decoys last year because I wanted a bag of anise bears.
[notify]

Brownie

I'm the Alpha- cat!

Purred: Thu Jun 7, '12 10:58pm PST 
Well, I finally got a whole pheasant pelt skin. Candie smelled it. Brownie kept rubbing up against it to leave his scent on it. He loves smelling the feather too. Cookie stalked it. I put it up, twice. She had to find it, twice. On the third time, I hide it better. I brought it back down for Cookie to see again in the evening. She went after the tail feathers. We chased her away when she was chewing the tail feathers. She had to come back to attack it. She loves it. I'll give Candie another chance on Friday.

Now the fun of making feather lures to attach to the fishing pole to play with the cats. I hope they will be a big hit as the Squirmles aka Magic Worm that I got at the Dollar Tree.
[notify]