GO!

The Collar Question?

This Forum is to meow about the very latest and greatest in the cat world: kitty news; must-have new products, toys and accessories; cat-friendly art, culture, and entertainment, and more!

Please be aware that while you are allowed to inform others about your product or service if it is in context and is part of an existing discussion, we do not allow unsolicited advertising in the forums. We will remove all posts that seem to be selling rather than informing. If you're interested in advertising on Catster, please contact us.

(Page 1 of 4: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  
Annabelle - 829;

My heart belongs- to N'bikay

Purred: Sun Mar 26, '06 7:26am PST 
We would like some opinions on whether you inside cats wear your collar and tags full time, and also some tips on teaching 8-10 month old kitties how to wear one. Mommy has always left them a little loose, so she could get it off quickly if a youngster panicked, but Enzo got his stuck in his mouth and went beserk. She got it off, but has scars to prove it! Any help will be greatly appreciated.
[notify]

Merlin - An Angel- Forever

*Poof*

Purred: Sun Mar 26, '06 8:33am PST 
The collar must be loose but not so loose that the kitten can get its mouth caught in it. Use the two finger rule: if you can slip two fingers under the collar, it is loose enough. If the collar is still too loose when you put it on the very last hole, try a smaller sized collar. Methinks there are kitten collars available. Safety collars are good to start with. You adjust it by sliding a part of the collar.
[notify]

Gem

The Littest- Trouble Maker

Purred: Sun Mar 26, '06 10:12am PST 
We don't wear our collars because I have learned to take mine off and one time Lexi got it caught in her mouth trying to take it off, which scarred Momma. I don't think they are on tight enough because Momma worries about how tight is too tight...even with the two finger rule!

Really though, it is a good idea for all kitties-inside or outside-to wear collars and tags as it protects us and lets us know we are someone's pet!
[notify]

☆Zoril- la☆

When in- Doubt...PURR!

Purred: Sun Mar 26, '06 8:48pm PST 
When mom first got me I was so small even the kitten collar was too big! You can see it's pinned in my photo of peeking out from the blinds. At one point mom put a harness on me because she wanted to put me on a leash. Now she'll use the harness when we go to the vet, because it's easy to hold and I can't get hurt by it.

Now I wear a collar rarely because mom puts clothes on me a lot and doesn't want to over-accessorize MOL.

Lucy wears her collar almost full time because she has a bad habit of escaping out the door once in awhile. Her collar is a break-away kind for just in case she gets stuck to something.

Both of us are microchipped so our collars just have are chip info on them. She keeps my collar in the pocket of my carrier.
[notify]

Blade- (2000-2010)

BE RESPONSIBLE,- SPAY AND NEUTER!

Purred: Mon Mar 27, '06 12:36pm PST 
Yes, a collar shouldn't be too loose, because there's a danger of getting 'hooked' on things.
Also we cats can sometimes end up getting our front leg threaded through the collar if it's too loose and if it were an outdoor cat and this happens while we're out we can get into trouble. This happened to a cat that lived near me. He panicked because his leg got stuck in his collar and he couldn't get home. When he was found he had a bad wound under his 'armpit' where his collar cut into him.
I'm only allowed to wear 'snap off' type collars that break away if they are caught on anything.
[notify]

Kiara

DON'T piss me- off.

Purred: Mon Mar 27, '06 12:38pm PST 
Heya guys..I wear my collar 24/7..I'm an indoor/outdoor cat..I don't like it much outside (unless there are some mice to catch),but mommy likes me to get some fresh air sometimes...My collars are always cat-safe collars,so if I get caught it will break off and not strangle me! I have never had a problem wearing one..mommy got me as a stray when I was about 1 and she put a collar on and I never bothered with it..it gets annoying,but I know if I get lost someone will know how to get me home because I have a small tag that says my name and phone number (and it's safety-reflective so that it can be seen in the dark!)
[notify]

❤Ruben❤- DB #⑩

The Boss

Purred: Mon Mar 27, '06 6:48pm PST 
I wear my collar all the time. Mom doesnt want me to get out by accident and get lost.
[notify]

Kira

sloth love- chunk!

Purred: Tue Mar 28, '06 7:29am PST 
me and my sister cat wear collars and tags even though we are not allowed out. mom wants to make sure if we escape somehow we at least have a number someone can call if they find us. we don't mind our collars, (we wear beastie bands) they are soft and neat looking, mom picked them out just for us!
[notify]

Kira

sloth love- chunk!

Purred: Tue Mar 28, '06 7:35am PST 
me and my sister cat wear collars and tags even though we are not allowed out. mom wants to make sure if we escape somehow we at least have a number someone can call if they find us. we don't mind our collars, (we wear beastie bands) they are soft and neat looking, mom picked them out just for us!
[notify]

Unthar

Unthar the- beautiful- Seal-point- menace

Purred: Wed Mar 29, '06 1:24pm PST 
My mommy doesn't put on our collars because our furs get matted and we are long haired. My mommy does worry that we get out and no one would know who we are. She is very careful and hopes we never come out. Purrs and headbutts, Unthar.
[notify]

(Page 1 of 4: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4