GO!

Cornish Rex balding - chicken allergy/vitamin e deficiency?

This forum is for cat lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your cat.

Purred: Tue Aug 5, '14 12:44pm PST 
Hi. I have an almost 2yo Cornish Rex (Rex Luthor), intact male, with a horrible bald strip from the base to tip of his tail on its top. He has had the balding issue with his tail for over 9 months, and his coat has now started to thin out on both his cheek/base of ear area, extending slightly down the sides of his neck, and also down a patch of his spine (where a cat would naturally have a hump when he is stretching).

My vet did not believe it was mites or ringworm, though he did not do any culture or skin biopsy. He said he thought it might be a genetic issue and wanted to jump right into testing. I put it off, but at that point the balding hadn't yet started on his back.

I read that the possibilities might include Vitamin E deficiency, as well as a sensitivity to chicken (presumably the antibiotics used in farming) and to grains. I have tried to find a "raw" diet that does not include any form of chicken, to no avail. I have found though two high-quality all natural, grain-free, chicken-free, preservative-free all natural foods (both in moist and dry form but unfortunately both fish varieties) and have begun the switch from what Rex has been eating. When I first obtained Rex from the breeder, he was on Royal Canin. His stomach was very sensitive and he had bouts of alternating firm and runny poops, the odor of which permeated the entire house. Hence I tried several different foods, and finally settled into a regular commercial food, which resolved the poop issues but may have exacerbated the skin/balding issues.

Has anyone else found that Vitamin E deficiency and chicken allergy caused these issues? The skin on the bald patch of his tail is scaly, and has tiny scabs (which have not changed over time). I would also have guessed mites or some form of parasite/fungus, but the vet was quite insistent that this was not the issue.

Thanks for any help you can provide.
[notify]

Merlin - An Angel- Forever

*Poof*

Purred: Tue Aug 5, '14 5:25pm PST 
There's a reply in your other post wave http://www.catster.com/forums/Raw_Food_Diet/thread/779407 Hopefully the fleas didn't eat it naughty
[notify]