GO!

My 5 1/2 month kitten has bald spots!

This forum is for cat lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your cat.

Shouka

Shouka 10% dopey- 90% lovable!

Purred: Wed Oct 9, '13 9:14am PST 
Today we noticed our 5 1/2 month Ragdoll has a bald spot above her eye and the other side is thinning. Also the back of her ears seem to be thinning as well. Does anyone know what might cause this? My dog licks her quite a bit could this be the cause?
[notify]

Monster

It's all about- me.

Purred: Wed Oct 9, '13 12:04pm PST 
It could be she's shedding her kitten coat, or it could be nothing. But it's a good idea to have the vet check her for ringworm.
[notify]

Shouka

Purred: Wed Oct 9, '13 2:21pm PST 
Thank you for your reply, she is wormed up to date but I will take her to the vet to get checked out anyway
[notify]

Laila

Queen Bee

Purred: Thu Oct 10, '13 8:49am PST 
Ringworm isn't actually a "worm;" it's a fungal infection. If your kitten's bald patches are round and have scaly scab-like formations in the middle of them, she probably has ringworm. It's not fatal or even particularly dangerous, but it is a pain in the backside. There are some new oral anti-fungal creams you can use, but I've found that lotrimin lotion works just fine. Check yourself regularly as ringworm is contagious and the kitten could give it to you.
[notify]

Shouka

Purred: Thu Oct 10, '13 3:31pm PST 
Its not scabby or anything like that, just a bald patch. I have her a appointment at the vet. Thank you for your replies and advice. I never knew ringworm wasn't actually a worm. You learn something new everyday lol kitty
[notify]

Pieces

Purred: Thu Oct 17, '13 5:30am PST 
One of the kitties that we adopted from a shelter had weird hard bumpies on the back of her ears and thinning of fur/bald spot on ears and around eyes/mouth. The vet thought it was ringworm but after a few tests came back negative he said it wasn't ringworm. The vet suggested that it might be a food allergy which we tried our best to figure out what it was but decided it was easier to switch to grain free food which then helped clear up the thinning fur within a month or two.

Good luck!
[notify]