GO!

pet insurance.... worth it?

This forum is for cat lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your cat.

Mittens

Purred: Sun Sep 8, '13 1:59pm PST 
hi, new mommy to 12 week old female, mittens. my husband had heard about getting pet insurance from a friend who recommended it. But im not exactly sure on a few things...

1.) how do you even get pet insurance?
2.) how does it work? pay monthly and then have a deductible?
3.) is it even worth it?

we plan on keeping her indoors as well but do plan on getting her fixed. what are your thoughts?

THANK YOU
kittykitty
[notify]

Mordred,PAWS

No Not-Moms!!!!

Purred: Sun Sep 8, '13 2:36pm PST 
Hi! Mordred's mom here. . .

Absolutely, positively, doubtlessly - I would not be without it, and I recommend that you get it for your new kids! It works much the same as human medical insurance: you pay a premium (some companies will give you a choice of how often) and the company will reimburse part of expenses.

How do you get it? Google "pet insurance," and you'll be overwhelmed with choices! smile I use Petplan, having tried Veterinary Pet Insurance (VPI) and become dissatisfied. With Petplan, I pay a premium each month; when I have a claim, I merely send in the form, or the vet will fax it in for me.

Is it worth it? Absolutely!! When Mordred was diagnosed with a heart murmur, I took him to a cardiologist for an ultrasound: $422, repeated two years later. The first one was under VPI, and they paid only $196; I can't remember (or find) how much Petplan paid, but I remember that it was considerably more. I was very pleased.

Things you should know:
Different companies have different ways of submitting/paying claims; check the websites for infor.

ALL the companies (at least, all that I've seen) have different levels of protection. Usually, there are three; naturally, the lowest level of protection has the lowest premium. Some levels include routine costs, such as vaccinations and routine dental work; these will cost more in premiums. You have to decide on these things according to your own circumstances.

From my own experience, I can tell you that "routine" does not always end that way! I took Mordred for a routine tooth cleaning, which would not have been covered under the plan I have. While Mordred was under anesthesia, the doctor called to tell me that Mordred has resorbtive lesions: his body is re-absorbing the calcium in his teeth; that meant that four of his teeth had to be extracted. The insurance company paid - tooth extraction for a disease is nonroutine, and, therefore, payable.

Your cats are young, so you may think that they're healthy and insurance isn't necessary. My Willie Wonka, who went to the Bridge years ago (before there was pet insurance), was only 4 when he diagnosed with kidney disease; he was gone within a month. It can happen to any child, any age.

I hope I've answered some of your concerns. Please paw-mail me if I can offer anything else. And the best of luck!big hug
[notify]

Smithwick

Tigger is my- favorite!

Purred: Mon Sep 9, '13 2:31pm PST 
I heaartily recommend insurance. I did not have it for Maizy or Tigger. Maizy has been relatively healthy until recently she has had some tummy issues. I cannot get insurance for her unless I submit her to an endoscopic exam, since the vet thinks she may have IBD. Tigger was diagnosed at 1 year old with hypertrophic cardiomyopathy. He requires a yearly ultrasound, and he had some urinary issues. Insurance companies wonlt even accept him with those as pre-existing. I wish I had gotten it for him. Smitty did not have it wither, but when I got Felix, I got it for both him & Smitty. That $34 per month is worth it. Smitty had to have teeth removed, and my poor baby Felix has luxar patella on both knees & had 1 surgery already that was over $3000.00. With insurance, I paid $600. Mine also counts wellness exam &shots, which count towards the deductible of $250 ( I would have to pay it anyways, so at least it reduces the deductible). I would advise to look at these items when reviewing insurance:
look for a yearly deductible, not a per incident one. Kitty sick with 2 things in a year= 2 seperate deductibles.
Look for low limits - some companies only pay up to like $500.
I had 24Pet plan by PUrina, but they just switched to another company that is supposed to be about the same as I had. I am now stuck, because a new company would consier theri issues pre-existing. But I would recommend insurance DEFINITELY!
[notify]

Purred: Wed Nov 20, '13 9:56pm PST 
I'm sure not all pet insurances work the same way, but ours is a monthly fee and then you submit a claim and get the bills paid. For us, it was cheaper to have insurance for a year then the average yearly vet bills, we saved about $100 a year and that's without any major illness or problems, so if something arose, we'd save even more. MyPetHelper.com is a good resource for info on pet insurance.
[notify]

Vladimir

King VLAD-Lord- of the Leash

Purred: Sun Nov 24, '13 7:27pm PST 
Vladimir's mommy here. I have two forms of insurance for him: one is a regular maintenance wellness plan (for regular checkups, vaccinations, bi-yearly comprehensive exams, dental cleaning, to name a few) and the other is for emergency costs that aren't covered under his wellness plan. The just-in-case insurance is VPI (recommended by his vet) and the regular wellness plan is through Banfield Pet Hospital (located in most PetSmart stores). I haven't had to use the VPI so far, thank goodness, but I have the other one. I'm satisfied with both, have had no complaints and have saved quite a bit on vet costs.
[notify]