GO!

Hair loss, lesions, and itchy on Alethea

This forum is for cat lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your cat.

Purred: Tue Jul 9, '13 3:49am PST 
Hey everyone. 3 weeks ago, I took Alethea to see the vet because there was hair loss and a tiny bit of scabbing on the side of her face. The vet gave me a small tube of medication (Seborrhea Spot-on) to apply each day, and said come back if there's no improvement.

A week later, the bald spot had doubled in size, so back to the clinic we went. The vet sent away samples for a fungal culture and skin scraping test.

The results just came in, and they're both negative. So the cause is definitely not ring worm, mites, etc.

At this point, the vet really isn't sure what's wrong, so I'm wondering if any of you have seen something like what's in this photo:
http://i.imgur.com/7P2Gtbz.jpg

We're all ears! Thanks,

Nick & Alethea
[notify]

BK

Ambassador at- the Kitty U.N.

Purred: Tue Jul 9, '13 5:12am PST 
This sounds like what BK had when he got here. He was so itchy that he had scratched wounds on his head and had licked all the fur off his belly and legs. In his case we found a dermatologist and after eliminating all other possible causes he was diagnosed with allergies. He takes medication and eats a raw diet to keep his symptoms minimal and now he's the most gorgeous kitty.

If your regular vet isn't sure what this is, try to find a dermatologist in your area. And please feel free to paw mail me if you have any questions or need any help.
[notify]

Laila

Queen Bee

Purred: Wed Jul 10, '13 6:41am PST 
Sounds like it could definitely be allergies. Talk to your vet about courses of treatment. This can include Benadryl (in ridiculously small doses), diet changes, and topical treatment.
[notify]

Blade- (2000-2010)

BE RESPONSIBLE,- SPAY AND NEUTER!

Purred: Thu Jul 11, '13 5:54pm PST 
My friend's cat had a mystery lesion that wouldn't heal on her face and it was coming from an infected tooth root - so it was working it's way outwards if you know what I mean. Just another option you could check out, although it's probably unlikely.
Purrs - Blade
[notify]

Naya

Play with Me!

Purred: Thu Jul 11, '13 9:22pm PST 
This sounds exactly like Naya when I first found her. It turned out to be allergies from living under a dirty, dusty abandoned house. But, she also had a very infected baby canine tooth that needed to be pulled.
[notify]