GO!

Shivering

This forum is for cat lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your cat.

Chiquitita

Sing a new- song...

Purred: Sat Jun 29, '13 4:49am PST 
Hello everyone, we hope you can help give some ideas as to what might be going on with me. First, I eat, play, and use my litter box as normal. However, often when I lie down I begin to shiver; not constantly like if I were cold, but in short spurts. Now, as many of you may already know, I am on Gabapentin 2 times a day to control my seizures (over 2 years since my last one cheer). I also take treats to help my arthritis and joint swelling. My blood work came back with not much changes from when I had it drawn in late October. Also, for those who don't know me, I'm 17 years old...any ideas what mommy can do to make me more comfortable, or what might be causing this? Mommy is a little concerned they might be partial seizures.

Thanks for any help!
Head bonks and sandpaper kisses,
Chiquitita
[notify]

Merlin - An Angel- Forever

*Poof*

Purred: Sat Jun 29, '13 5:20am PST 
This may sound silly but maybe you are cold?thinking Maybe your Human can try a heated bed or pet blanket for you? Does the vet have any ideas why you are shivering?
[notify]

Chiquitita

Sing a new- song...

Purred: Sat Jun 29, '13 6:40am PST 
Hi Merlin, we did think of that because I don't do it in my sunbeam, however I do, do it on my heated sleeping mat. As for the vet, I don't do it in front of him, so he really isn't sure what is going on. Thanks for the response, at my age it is entirely possible that my circulation isn't what it once was, and I may be cold.
[notify]

Ashlynne

Silly girl

Purred: Sat Jun 29, '13 7:58am PST 
Can your mommy get a video of you shivering, to show to the vet?

EDITED to add:

My mom has taken videos in to show the vet (on a laptop or on a cell phone), if we had an appointment. But, she has also posted a short video online to someplace like Flickr or Photobucket and then emailed a link to the vet so they could watch it when they had a spare minute -- if we weren't going in for an appointment right then.

Edited by author Sat Jun 29, '13 8:24am PST

[notify]

Chiquitita

Sing a new- song...

Purred: Sat Jun 29, '13 10:28am PST 
Thank you for the idea, we will try the computer, but the problem is that the camera (even the one in the phone) has image stabilization and it does not show my shivers. We had the same problem when I was first treated for FHS (which it might be from that as well, except mommy says it does not look the same and the Gabapentin usually controls that as well.)
[notify]

Miss Tiny- Burr Burr

Love and adore.

Purred: Wed Jul 10, '13 7:09pm PST 
she might have low blood sugar, this causes shivering.
[notify]

Naya

Play with Me!

Purred: Thu Jul 11, '13 11:42pm PST 
It sounds like Chiquita is just cold. However, it’s strange that she would shiver on a heated mat. I think you should take a video and show the vet. Ask to borrow a friend’s camera or phone. I would also be worried about low blood sugar.
[notify]