GO!

What to expect from first vet visit?

This forum is for cat lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your cat.

Schrodinger

BOXES <3

Purred: Wed May 8, '13 10:58am PST 
Me and my sister both own Schrodinger and we agree that it's overdue time for his first vet visit since we adopted him.
He's not sick or anything, but for me I want to make sure we're not neglecting something he needs as this is our first cat we've taken care of ourselves as adults since moving out of our parents' house.
However, I'm unsure what to expect or how to prepare.
I want to ask about raw meat or a secondary food to give him along side the usual kitty chow (which we need to change to adult chow soon) and of course just make sure he's healthy.
What kind of things will happen with a checkup like this?
What should I do to prepare besides perhaps bring his shot information, tag, and transport him via his cat carrier?
Should I bring his food?
[notify]

Trek

Monster of- Mayhem

Purred: Wed May 8, '13 2:23pm PST 
Definitely take his shot record with you, including rabies tag number and issuing vet. Please, please, please--for everyone's sake, definitely put the cat in a carrier. You'll be happier, your cat will be happier, the front office staff will actually like you, and your vet will be pleased.

Even though it's just a routine checkup, make sure you can answer questions about your cat's bathroom habits (how often is he going, what do his bowel movements look like--the more descriptive the better), eating habits (what kind of food, how often, any people food), energy level (I'm assuming it's pretty high since he's so young), and general disposition. Your vet will do a routine physical exam, meaning he will look at the cat's eyes, ears, and mouth, then start at the head and work his way down to the tail, feeling for anything odd or anything that the cat reacts badly to.

Go prepared with any questions you have--either about food or anything else. Be warned...some vets are so beholden to particular pet food companies that you won't get a straight answer. Many, however, are very open to questions and willing to work with you regarding diet questions. Also, if your cat isn't so great with toe nail trims at home, it's probably a good time to deal with that, too.
[notify]

Schrodinger

BOXES <3

Purred: Wed May 8, '13 2:47pm PST 
Very helpful, thank you very much. big grin
[notify]

Shade

My name is not- Kittyfloss!

Purred: Thu May 9, '13 4:08am PST 
Bring a stool (poop) sample with you so that they can check for parasites. Some vets will get a sample themselves if you don't and that can be unpleasant for the cat. Just put your sample from the litter box in a ziplock baggie and write his name on it. You don't have to worry about brushing litter off of it either and, if they don't want it, you can just throw it away.

Also, don't expect a good reaction if you mention raw feeding to the vet. Most vets will discourage raw feeding. They know almost nothing about it and they assume, perhaps correctly, that most people are unable to do it properly. Come over and visit the raw feeding forum if you'd like information on raw feeding. Also, you can look at catinfo.org and catnutrition.org to read up on it.

Good luck at your first vet visit!

Purrs,
Shade
[notify]