GO!

Chronic Renal Failure

This forum is for cat lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your cat.

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 15)  
1  2  
Joey

I'm big, I'm- bad, but I am a- real mush!

Purred: Thu Apr 4, '13 1:59pm PST 
Hi Delyte – thank you for your response! I am sorry that you and your human have CRF too! I wish I could afford, and that my schedule allowed, having the vet’s staff do the sub Q fluids for me. I think after we get the next round of bloods back – if I am not stable and the vet wants to push the fluids – I will be brave and find a way. There isn’t much I wouldn’t do for my furkids as long as I have the means. I am hoping that getting the diet started early and increasing his water intake – we can keep Joey healthy and happy for a long time – and hearing everyone’s experiences has given me that hope!

Thank you for sharing your story and for your support!
[notify]

Athena (In- Memory)

Purrs and Love- to Mom and- Toulouse

Purred: Thu Apr 4, '13 2:29pm PST 
When Athena's kidneys started failing, my vet said I could bring her in any time and they would give her sub-Q's. I thought I would be able to do it because Athena was gentle and never objected to the sub-Q's at the vet's office. But the first time I tried at home, she screamed and twisted in my grasp. There was no way I could hold her down to put the needle under her skin. (All cat owners should have at least 4 arms and hands.) So I would take her to the vet's office. For many months it was just once a week; then twice a week. I am a volunteer at our local animal shelter (where Athena came from) and one of the directors there started coming to my house to give Athena sub-Q's.

Food-wise, Athena ate Fancy Feast classic. After trying specialty foods which she didn't eat, our vet said to feed her want she wanted. He said with her condition, her final time should be spent letting her have what she wanted and not deny her.

I sent you an invitation to the Olde Furts Group. Or you don't have to join the group, but you can still check out their forums where they have lots of info on everything of interest for senior cats, including a CRF thread:

http://www.catster.com/group/Olde_furts-2172

Purrs and Love,
Athena
hughughughug

Joey

Purred: Fri Apr 5, '13 6:48am PST 
Hi Athena - thank you so much for sharing your story! They are a handful aren't they?!

Well my concerns about the co-feeding and Joey rejecting the diet are coming to fruition. This morning he was in open rebellion against the new food and followed me around the house as I carried his sister's food looking for a quiet place to fee her - all the while she was back at his dish chowing down! And he cried - tears and all - little howls - begging for that bowl of Fancy Feast. So it looks like I will call the vet today and see if he has any suggestions.

Thank you for the invite to Olde Furts! I joined the group and found the threads you mentioned – very informative!

Thanks so much for all of the support!
[notify]

Kaci- Sunshine - Beloved- Angel

Sugar 'n Spice

Purred: Fri Apr 5, '13 10:21am PST 
The advice regarding food for CRF cats I've heard over and over again from all sources is: Feed them anything they'll eat, as long as they eat!

It's a good thing that you're checking this with your vet -- perhaps there's another brand of prescription food Joey would prefer. However, if Joey won't eat any of the prescription foods, please don't worry about it! In that case, my advice is to feed him the Fancy Feast he loves.

If it's the phosphorus content in the food that worries you, there are supplements Joey can take if his phosphorus number should become elevated. That may never happen. Kaci has eaten nothing but non-prescription canned food since her diagnosis 2-1/2 years ago and her phosphorus level has remained normal.

When Kaci first starting getting subq fluids, I was TERRIFIED to do it. The thought of sticking the needle in her made me want to faint. Plus I felt I couldn't control her on my own. One of the techs from my vet's office offered to come to my house and give the fluids. She charged half of what it would cost if I took Kaci to the vet to have it done. I bought the fluids, lines and needles and the tech came over at least 3 times a week for over a year and a half. Then Kaci needed subq fluids every day and I could no longer afford to pay the tech to come every day (and she didn't want to come here every day either!) so I had no choice -- I had to do it. It was hard in the beginning (with mishaps that now make me laugh) but I did it and now it's a breeze. It also helps that Kaci is now resigned to getting the fluids and no longer struggles. smile

Edited by author Fri Apr 5, '13 10:22am PST

[notify]

Joey

Purred: Tue Apr 9, '13 9:48am PST 
Thanks Kaci appreciate all of your advice and concern! We started mixing the new food with his old food to see if he would be more receptive to it - mixed results. I started the Pepcid the night before last along with the Cerenia for the vomiting - since he has been on the Cerenia he has not vomited - until this morning - and I am concerned. I hate to be a pest with the vet - and I don't know if I am overreacting. Do they still vomit occasionally when they are on the Pepcid and antiemetic?
[notify]

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 15)  
1  2