GO!

Constipated Kitty - help!

This forum is for cat lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your cat.

Parker

Destroy all the- things

Purred: Sat Mar 23, '13 1:12pm PST 
Our 7 month old cat, Parker, went in for surgery on Thursday to have his two bottom canine teeth removed. The doctor gave us codeine to put in his ear twice every twelve hours to help with the pain. While Parker still has a big appetite, he has NO interest in drinking water and he seems to be having a problem going to the bathroom. This morning when he tried to poop, he mewed like he was in some pain. We think he pooed a bit yesterday (but it was small and hard) and nothing today. Like I said, his appetite is still there (we are only feeding him wet canned food) but I'm not sure why he doesn't want any water or why he can't poop now. Any ideas what I should do here? Could the codeine be the culprit? We haven't given him any today in case this is causing his constipation. The vet is closed until Monday frown
[notify]

Merlin- >PAWS<- [In Loving

Purred: Sat Mar 23, '13 1:49pm PST 
I don't know if this will help, but when Merlin had CRF and became constipated while we were away from home, I bought baby suppositories and inserted one. It did seem to help - and might be worth a try over the weekend. Best of luck!
[notify]

Ashlynne

Silly girl

Purred: Sat Mar 23, '13 8:43pm PST 
I had a cat who had all her teeth removed, and she did not drink water for a few days afterward. She, too, was eating (canned food only), but did not drink. The vet said not to worry too much about it for the first few days, as long as she was eating okay -- and she did finally start drinking water again.

You could add a little water to his canned food, so he gets some more water that way.

Just like with humans, the anesthesia and pain medications can make it hard to get things moooving again after a surgery. You could give him a little bit of plain canned pumpkin (not pumpkin pie filling, just plain pumpkin), if he'll eat it, or you could mix some in his food. It's good for both diarrhea and constipation. Here are suggestions for starting amount: Treatments for Constipation

I wouldn't withhold the pain medication if he still has pain.

I hope Parker's back to his regular self soon. hug
[notify]

Parker

Destroy all the- things

Purred: Sun Mar 24, '13 8:28pm PST 
Thanks for your responses everyone! I've been adding some water into Parker's soft food. He did poop yesterday, but nothing today. He's peeing though, so I know he's at least getting fluids even if he doesn't seem to want to drink much water. I'm going to keep monitoring his litter behaviour and if it still seems off I'll call the vet. Poor little guy. frown
[notify]

Joey

I'm big, I'm- bad, but I am a- real mush!

Purred: Mon Mar 25, '13 9:26am PST 
Another way to get more water in them is to use tuna water - not oil - tuna packed in water - drain the can and then add more water to it - then let him lap it up! This is a short term remedy - don't do it every day - but it helps entice them to take more water in even when it hurts. Good luck!
[notify]

MARIO

You may call me- Sir...

Purred: Mon Mar 25, '13 1:59pm PST 
Hi Parker...I'm Mario and I have just had a constipation problem, too! Please check out my profile and click on my forum posting...many wonderful humans have posted great information and suggestions!! I hope it will help you and you feel better soon!!!!
[notify]

Alex (sweet- angel girl)

Angel on a- mission!

Purred: Mon Mar 25, '13 4:16pm PST 
Ask the vet about using Miralax.
[notify]