GO!

Post Urinary Blockage worries.

This forum is for cat lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your cat.

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 16)  
1  2  
Joey

I'm big, I'm- bad, but I am a- real mush!

Purred: Tue Mar 19, '13 12:00pm PST 
The smell might be digestive because of the change in food - watch him carefully and see for a few days. If he is running a fever or there is any blood in his waste see the vet immediately. Beep is right about being blocked - here are the signs, if Chester is in the box and digging furiously for a long time - squatting several times - vocalizing - and not producing urine - you need to see the vet immediately. When a cat is blocked you have about 6 hours - don't worry about the money at that time - go to the vet and tell them you need to work out a payment plan - but get him to the vet. Joey was nearly blocked when I drove him to the emergency animal clinic at 2:30am during the worst ice storm of 2007! An ultrasound revealed he had 7 large stones in his bladder and sediment and the mucosa was so inflamed he could not pass urine efficiently. Two days later he had surgery to remove the stones and flush the system. After that we went on the CD formula and Joey rejected it immediately - so we spent 6 months trying to get him to eat. And as I said in the end we relented and it's Fancy Feast with water. And he is such a healthier cat for it! He has lost 7 pounds (down from 22lbs to 15lbs) in 7 years and has not any repeat of his bladder issues. In my opinion, dry food is responsible for many common cat diseases - do a little reading online. If you could put mouse in a can - that would be all Chester would need. Vets don't know everything - trust your instincts. Let us know how he is doing!
[notify]

Baron

Purred: Tue Mar 19, '13 4:37pm PST 
My baby Goo went through something similar a few years ago. We noticed that he would run into the liter box, stand for at least 10 seconds and then bolt out of there. He very rarely produced anything until one afternoon he was on top of a comforter piled on the couch and he peed. There was so much pee and it smelled so strong.

We took him right into the vets and they said it was most likely a blockage that he was able to clear himself. They told us to feed him the Hills prescription diet stuff and keep water bowls full. We ended up feeding him that stuff for about 6-8 months when we noticed/realized he had gained a significant amount of weight. We aren't sure if it helped with the pee/blockages as we noticed that there was still pee in various places in the basement. We assumed it was him but had no proof seeing how we have five kitties.

We ended up switching entirely to wet for all kitties at that point. Goo was not happy because he loved his dry crunchies. We switched to proplan selects wet and then we started to feed a combination of friskies (there are three kinds which I believe are grain free) and fancy feast (also grain free flavors). After switching to entirely wet, we noticed that there was no more pee in random places and less poop in the litter boxes. Goo was able to lose a few pounds and get back down to a healthy weight (Goo was about 18lbs and is now down to about 13).

We buy the large friskies cans (13oz) and the 3oz fancy feasts.

Good luck! Have you tried local animal shelters? Sometimes they have programs to help with the cost of food or local food pantrys sometimes get kitty food. I hope your kitty feels better soon!
[notify]

Merlin - An Angel- Forever

*Poof*

Purred: Tue Mar 19, '13 5:17pm PST 
IMO, powders/supplements/etc that claim to resolve/cure/etc a heatlh issue are a waste of money. Pet store employees mean well when they recommend products but sometimes the product they recommend isn't good for cats or is a quack product shrug

Don't use chicken broth shock Many commercial brands contain garlic and onion powders which are harmful to cats shock Plain water is just fine. You can also use the liquid from a can of tuna, the kind in water NOT oil.

And don't soak dry food in water, especially if the dry food is going to sit in a bowl all day. Harmful bacteria will quickly grow.

Ask the vet for FortiFlora. It's a powder that you sprinkle on food to make it yummier to cats. It's basically animal digest, the same stuff dry food is coated in which many cats are addicted to. Warming up the canned food for a few seconds in the microwave will make it more appealing, too.

Can you get some canned food for Chester since he won't eat dry food? He needs to eat. Can someone buy a case of food for you? A 24 case of Fancy Feast doesn't cost more than $10, I think. Ask the vet about syringe feeding soupy canned food just to get something into Chester.

The stinky butt... I bet it's an anal gland problem. Sometimes the anal glands are overproductive or get blocked. Anal gland secretion stinks realy really bad eek Your vet can express the glands to empty out the stinky secretions. A pet grooming place can probably do this for you, too. It only takes a few minutes to do.
[notify]

Chester

Master of the- 'Nip

Purred: Thu Mar 21, '13 4:59am PST 
Thank you everyone for your responses. He had already been treated for his blockage, and the day after I posted, I got him into the vet. She switched him to a wet food for critical care cats, and I have to give him fluids every day. She checked his bladder and she said everything there looks good. He likes the wet food, and I'm going to switch him to full time wet. And his sister Sophie as well, as she keeps trying to eat the food he's on now! He's turned around loads since then. He was playing and running when I had the lazer dot out yesterday, and he's become more like his old self. Though I know I still have to keep an eye on him, it is less worrying. And to answer a question, he was on 2 pills for his bladder twice a day and liquid antibiotics for two weeks. He's still on those until next week. I was able to get him to keep down the pills, but he hates the antibiotics. Now he's on wet, I can put the doses in there. The vet thinks he may have had a kidney infection on top of the blockage. If the antibiotics he's on don't work though, he may be put on something stronger.
[notify]

Chester

Master of the- 'Nip

Purred: Thu Mar 21, '13 4:55pm PST 
Still doing good. Giving him his antibiotics in the canned food, and he's drinking plenty of water. Also giving him SubQ fluids once a day. And aside from the smelly messiness that was on his rear the other day, I haven't actually seen him poop. Which to my mind is a reason to worry, but I am a born worrier. Especially after having to put to sleep Stewie a little over a month ago.
[notify]

Beep

Butt-kicker of- all other cats

Purred: Thu Mar 21, '13 8:07pm PST 
I'm so glad he is doing better. Having been through this several times, I know how you feel. I'm sure he will be ok, and once he is all better, I would put him on a decent quality wet food, I would not continue to feed the stuff the vet sells, you can read up on what awful things go in that food. Not sure if I mentioned this, but avoid the fish flavors, stick with chicken, turkey and beef. I give my cats Wellness or Natural Balance, and I mix some warm water in with the food, and they are doing very well on it. I hope Chester is healed up soon and back to his normal self.
[notify]

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 16)  
1  2