GO!

Post Urinary Blockage worries.

This forum is for cat lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your cat.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Chester

Master of the- 'Nip

Purred: Sun Mar 17, '13 8:50pm PST 
A week ago tomorrow I had to take my chester to the vet because poor kitty was straining to go, crying, and finally, hiding in the closet. People were telling me I was crazy, but I know my cat. He definitely had a blockage, so he was at the vets for a couple days. They sent him home with Buprenex, and 2 rx's for bladder pills and one for an antibiotic. Giving him these pills for the last 5 days has been really rough on both of us. Most days i'm cradling him and crying about why he won't take his pills. At any rate, this is the last day of the pills, and he doesn't seem to be doing any better or worse. He won't eat the hills s/d food they say he has to eat, so he's dropping weight. He's drinking and peeing a little in the box, but mostly on me when i'm giving him his medicine. Or wherever he's been laying, he gets up and there's a puddle. He isn't really grooming himself either. I guess i'm just super worried. I had to borrow money to get him treated in the first place, and I worry that he's gonna block again. And mostly I'm worried that he's going to starve and don't know what to do to get him to eat the food.

Anyone had these issues before?
[notify]

BK

Ambassador at- the Kitty U.N.

Purred: Mon Mar 18, '13 5:36am PST 
You didn't say if the food they gave you was dry or canned but the most important thing you can do is give him wet food to increase the fluid and flush him out. This will also prevent this from happening again. Add extra water to canned food - the more moisture the better. Visit catinfo.org for more info on why and how to do it. Best of luck!
[notify]

Merlin - An Angel- Forever

*Poof*

Purred: Mon Mar 18, '13 9:11am PST 
Lots of cats won't eat the prescription food. For most health issues, you don't need prescription food anyways no matter what the vet says. Go to the pet store or supermarket and buy a commerical canned food. The key is to flush the urinary system with lots of water. Canned food will help because many brands are 80% water or so. You can even add extra water to the canned food. Brand doesn't matter. Fancy Feast is inexpensive and many cats like that. You can return the prescription food to the vet for a refund. Just say that your cat won't eat it. If the vet insists that you HAVE to feed it and/or use scare tactics, firmly say no and walk away.

Don't feed any dry food. It's one reason why some cats end up with urinary issues. Dry food has no water which leads to a dehydrated body. Not enough water in the body = concentrated urine that bacteria love to grow in and crystals easily form in.

Edited by moderator Mon Mar 18, '13 4:11pm PST

Edited by forums moderator

Joey

I'm big, I'm- bad, but I am a- real mush!

Purred: Mon Mar 18, '13 1:31pm PST 
Joey wouldn't eat the food either - so after 6 months fighting him - my vet agreed - give him whatever WET food he will eat. And add extra water to it. Joey will only eat Fancy Feast - he absolutely refuses to eat anything else, and getting him off the dry food (kitty crack) was harder because we were trying to force him to eat the prescription wet. I would let your kitty eat whatever WET food he wants - and add extra water to it - make it soupy - and absolutely no dry food whatsoever. Joey has not had any stones since his surgery.
[notify]

Chester

Master of the- 'Nip

Purred: Mon Mar 18, '13 6:54pm PST 
It's the Hills s/d diet dry. I guess they gave me dry because that was the only version they had when I picked him up. As I left, their delivery came in for Hills.There's a local pet store that sells something for urinary health that she swears by, some powder to sprinkle on the food? I was thinking about switching to wet anyway, it doesn't seem as if theres that much of a difference between the Blue Buffalo Wilderness dry they were on and wet food. I just don't have any money to do so until next week. I've tried dampening the food with water, and broth. My other cat sophie has been eating it but she's one of those " it looks like food so its for cats" cats. But poor chester keeps hiding, and losing weight. Couldn't get ahold of the vet today. I guess i'll just continue on with the antibiotics.
[notify]

Chester

Master of the- 'Nip

Purred: Mon Mar 18, '13 8:07pm PST 
Also, there's a funny smell coming from his rear. It doesn't smell like poop or urine. It just smells foul or rotten. :/
[notify]

Beep

Butt-kicker of- all other cats

Purred: Mon Mar 18, '13 8:11pm PST 
I have been where you are. I agree with those that say, get him off dry food, and sd the vet sells is junk. They get HUGE profits from selling that garbage, and boy do they push it. If you can only afford fancy feast wet, then feed it (no fish....only chicken, turkey, beef - something in the fish not good for urine problems). Do like someone else said, mix water in the food, make it soupy, but not so much so at first if they won't eat it like that. My cats love it, they are used to it mixed with water and they lap it up. My male maine coon almost died of UTI blockage, twice, and I switched him to an all wet food diet, it's been 4 years and NO issues (knocking on wood). All of my cats eat wet food now, and 1 took months to convert from dry, but I did it....it can be done. I can't tell you the friends and family I have warned about dry food only, and they don't listen, and how many of these cats I've seen suffer from kidney failure and UTI's. I feed my cats Wellness or Natural Balance canned, it's more expensive, but the Wellness especially, it fills them up, so they eat less of it. And if you are buying fancy feast....get the classic, pate style, not the grilled or flaked or chunk. The classic one, when you mix a little water in it, it makes a gravy that they love. Best of luck to you with your cat. Seriously, listen to the cat people on here who have been down this road, it is so true about the dry food. Praying that your kitty will heal soon. And if he is not peeing at all, I dno't want to scare you, but get him to the vet...work something out with them if you have to, they can block and die. And get him on the wet food only ASAP.
[notify]

Chester

Master of the- 'Nip

Purred: Mon Mar 18, '13 8:16pm PST 
I just had to borrow 600 dollars, to unblock him. And I don't get paid until next week. So much worry and fear happing right now.
[notify]

BK

Ambassador at- the Kitty U.N.

Purred: Tue Mar 19, '13 5:14am PST 
Quote: I was thinking about switching to wet anyway, it doesn't seem as if theres that much of a difference between the Blue Buffalo Wilderness dry they were on and wet food.

The difference is water. You must get him on canned food because a cat on dry food is chronically dehydrated and this is what causes the urinary issues. Even if you give him Friskies pate flavors, they're better than dry food for this issue. I can't think of anything worse to feed than Science Diet dry, but a lot of vets don't know anything about feline nutrition. Let us know if you need any help getting him to switch to canned - there are plenty of tricks.
[notify]

Blackberry

Somewhere there- is love for- everyone

Purred: Tue Mar 19, '13 10:08am PST 
Hi, I'm really sorry about your problem with Chester. I know that you don't have the money right now, but if he is smelling funny and you are really thinking that something isn't right, you need to call your vet now. I understand about the worry and fear as I've been through it recently with BB, different health issue though.

Were you able to get any of his pills into him, at least the antibiotics? I've been finding that there are many ways to trick cats into eating their pills on their own if you can't actually pill them. Have you any Pill Pockets? Not the best ingredient wise, but cats seem to love them; at least my four did until they got sick of them after two months. You can stick all sorts of things on the outside of pill pockets to make them even more palatable, deli chicken, Fortiflora, freeze dried chicken bits, cheese, roll them in water from a can of tuna, you get the idea.

I wish you the best and please consider calling the vet now, at least for advice.

Purrs,
Blackberry's mom
[notify]

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2