GO!

Tea Tree Oil = Toxin

This forum is for cat lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your cat.

Althea, PAWS

The Special,- Precious, Petite- PrinCESS

Purred: Wed Feb 27, '13 12:55pm PST 
Probably many of you know this, but I didn't, and there may be others. I just read an article that says that tea tree oil, actually sold on Amazon (among other places, presumably) is touted for cats and dogs when actually it is poisonous. I've never used it - and now never will - but thought I'd put the word out for others who may be as unaware as I was.
[notify]

Oogi Boogi

Purred: Wed Feb 27, '13 1:30pm PST 
I purchase tee tree oil for myself but never used it on my cats. I'm fairly certain I've read more than one place that it was safe to use as a cleaning product around animals. Kind of scary thinking that it can actually hurt them!
[notify]

Coco

I'm cute and- know it.

Purred: Wed Feb 27, '13 1:48pm PST 
Is it if the cat ingests it? I know humans aren't suppose to ingest it and must use it highly diluted. I use one drop per day for my skin. Could this be harful for my cats? Is it the aroma thats toxic too?
[notify]

Althea, PAWS

The Special,- Precious, Petite- PrinCESS

Purred: Wed Feb 27, '13 4:20pm PST 
Coco, I found the info on The Pussington Post, and it mentioned that it should not be used on the skin as the cat may lick it off. If you go to pussingtonpost.com, it's listed on the front page today (Wed., Feb 27, 2013), as Breaking News. You can read the whole story there. Better to be safe!
[notify]