GO!

Severe Itching & Scratching

This forum is for cat lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your cat.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Skunkity

Purred: Fri Feb 15, '13 11:57pm PST 
So Skunkity has had problems with itchy skin on her neck for about 3 years. She has gone to the vet & derm numerous times and after all the tests they said to just change her food to a certain brand because she's not allergic to anything in it.

Fast forward 2 years to now and it's back not as bad as it was, but could be if I can't help her. She has always favored her left side to scratch away her fur and start drawing blood. Now it has started on the base of both of her ears and the only thing that can stop her is a inflatable cone that she pops, making it really difficult. A plastic cone does not fit her proper and makes everything from walking, litter box time, eating and drinking near impossible.

I've run out of options right now. I just changed her to a newer food in hopes that it will help some but that can take months to see a good response. Took her into a local vet that really didn't know what to do either.

Steroid shots for allergies do very little to aid. I was told by someone that giving a small dose of Children's Benadryl every 8 or so hours can dramatically reduce the itching sensation she has. Also would cleaning wipes be helpful and how about Hydrocortisone Spray?
[notify]

BK

Ambassador at- the Kitty U.N.

Purred: Sat Feb 16, '13 3:52am PST 
Ask you vet about Atopica. It's really made for dogs with severe allergies, but they use it off-label for cats and it can work wonders. BK's been on it for years and it saved his life. Once all other possible sources of the itching have been eliminated and you've got the allergy diagnosis, sometimes there are allergens that you just can't avoid, particularly environmental ones. Also, have you tried the soft, blue cones until he's stabilized? They don't interfere with daily life - maybe one would work for you. Good luck!
[notify]

Skunkity

Purred: Sat Feb 16, '13 3:40pm PST 
Skunkity will pop the soft blue inflatable cones by trying to itch. She has gone through 2 of them so far and they only last about 4 hours before she gets some nice holes in them. I had asked about Atopica but didnt want to give it out. Which leaves me at the Benadryl. Google search says its ok to give.

I also have a pack of those soft paw things but having tried them before on her, she rips them off. This cat is such a pain in my behind to try and help because she is so feisty but I love her to death and want her to feel better.
[notify]

BK

Purred: Sun Feb 17, '13 11:31am PST 
Try another vet, or even better, a dermatologist. There's no need for him to suffer like this. Benedryl will only help with a small number of allergens. If there's not any other health issues involved I don't see why the vet doesn't want you to at least try the Atopica.

I do admire his persistence! It used to take us weeks to go through a soft cone.
[notify]

Blackberry

Somewhere there- is love for- everyone

Purred: Mon Feb 18, '13 4:53am PST 
Has Skunkitty had any kind of allergy testing in the past? How did the vet know 3 years ago that she wasn't allergic to anything in the recommended food? Am I to understand from your original post that she saw a dermatologist back then?

As BK said, itching can also be caused by environmental allergies. This is what I believe I am currently dealing with with Blackberry and we are going to the dermatologist next week.

BB has been on Atopica for about a year and it worked quite well sometimes to prevent the itching, but at other times it didn't seem to do much. It is a drug worth exploring with your vet or derm.

Best of luck to you, I know the pain!

Purrs,
Blackberr's mom
[notify]

Honey

Garfield - I Love food and- i'm a lg cat

Purred: Sun May 12, '13 6:02am PST 
Could be seasonal allergies i give my pets benadryl and it helps alot, also omega 3 capsule help too for itchy dry skin.
[notify]

Socrates

"Sir Talks- A-Lot"

Purred: Sun Jun 2, '13 6:13am PST 
We have been going through something similar with Socrates. He is terribly allergic to fleas, but we got those cleared out in December and have been on the vet recommended topical flea control since November. Havent even seen a flea since December on either Socrates or Pita (siamese, so easy to spot fleas on with her light fur). Given his history with fleas I know what to look for, and I used to know how to help, usually after the topical product has set in 3-5 days I would give him a soothing bath with epi-soothe and he would be back to normal (after he dried off and stopped glaring daggers at me).
Now, there are no fleas, no bites, but constant itching and scratching. The only thing that helps for a short time are the steroid shots from the Vet but we dont want to stay on those due to age and overweight. I literally just gave him a bath with the epi-soothe and when i brushed him he was back to being super itchy. The vet is at a loss as we have ruled out food allergies, we know there are not fleas, the fact that bathes are doing no good at all to even kind of soothe him is concerning becasue it points to a non environmental cause.
I'm taking him in on Wednesday to see where we can go from here, blood tests or something, and as much as I want to avoid another shot, he i so itchy that I just want him to have relief even if it only lasts a week.. Another strange part is that he is itchy on his lower back, and his front paws, his chest, and right behind his ears. The inflatable donut only works to keep him from getting at his chest and back of ears (yes we've checked for mites as well) but he can still reach the base of his tail so he is still tearing his hair out there, and gnawing up his front legs. I've been trying natural products to help sooth itchy skin, I've tried the sprays and lotions and shampoos and conditioners. Nothing is easing this itch. Has anyone found any relief for their itchy cat when fleas, food, and parasites have been ruled out?? We need some help out here!!!
[notify]

BK

Purred: Mon Jun 3, '13 4:28am PST 
How did you eliminate food allergies? You did an elimination diet? If your vet is stumped it's time to see a dermatologist. Allergies are very hard to diagnose - it's really a matter of eliminating all other causes.
[notify]

Blackberry

Somewhere there- is love for- everyone

Purred: Mon Jun 3, '13 9:28am PST 
I second BK's suggestion of seeing a veterinary dermatologist. They can do both serological and skin testing for all sorts of allergies. You'd be surprised at the number of environmental allergies a cat can have, many of which are inhaled, so a bath won't remove the allergen.

Good luck!
[notify]

Sootball

I am so cute,- scratch my belly- mol

Purred: Thu Jun 6, '13 9:12pm PST 
Have you wiped out anything make her scratch her ears? I have had to use "Ilum Ear Drops" I order it from Pet Shed.http://www.petshed.com/item/troy-ilium-ear-drops
"Unique Features of Ilium Ear Drops 0.68 oz:
Ear cleaner for dogs and cats
Formulated to remove necrotic tissue, debris and wax
Effectively treats against pet ear mites, bacterial and fungal infections
Can safely clean moist, waxy and smelly canine or feline ears
Useful treatment for minor bacterial and yeast infections
Active ingredients: Lactic Acid and Salycylic Acid
Easy-to-use plastic bottle with nozzle tip
Directions for Use
Instil 4-8 drops in the ear twice daily for 4-7 days.

YOU PAY $4.95"
We have to use it every year at the house. There is a lot more info on there web site. No Meowma does NOT work for them...
I had to start using "Comfortis" along with all 3 of our dogs.
Best of luck and please keep us apprised as to how things go.
cat on moon
[notify]

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2