GO!

Blood after pooping?

This forum is for cat lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your cat.

Parker

Destroy all the- things

Purred: Wed Feb 13, '13 10:39am PST 
My kitty took a big smelly poop this morning, and to my horror he was bleeding from his bum. Some of the blood got on his fur and on the wall when he brushed up next to it. The blood was bright red. Should I be super concerned about this? I know he did eat more hard food that usual yesterday, so maybe he was just constipated? No other bleeding since this morning... has this happened to anyone else's kitty?
[notify]

BK

Ambassador at- the Kitty U.N.

Purred: Wed Feb 13, '13 12:56pm PST 
I would take a stool sample to the vet to be sure nothing's wrong. It does happen very occasionally, but it's better to be safe than sorry.
[notify]

Cesar

the orange one

Purred: Wed Feb 13, '13 4:58pm PST 
we would suggest calling your vet, see what thay want you too do. I would keep a close eye on parker, see if it happens again, it might just be a one time thing. keep us updated.

purrs
[notify]

Ben

I fetch,- therefore I am.

Purred: Wed Feb 13, '13 5:14pm PST 
I would definitely talk to the vet. He could have an infected anal gland, or worse. thinking

Hope you feel better quick, Parker! Keep us posted. hug

Parker

Destroy all the- things

Purred: Fri Feb 15, '13 10:17am PST 
Thanks for your responses everyone! I decided to remove the hard food, and focus on feeding Parker primarily wet food for awhile to see if there was any change. There was! He has not bled again since that morning, and he seems in high spirits and happy again. I'm thinking he was just constipated. If I do see blood in his stool/after he poops again, I'll definitely notify the vet though.
[notify]

BK

Ambassador at- the Kitty U.N.

Purred: Fri Feb 15, '13 10:58am PST 
It's very possible that Parker is sensitive to some of the ingredients they put in dry food - they're just not species appropriate. Keep him on wet and see how he does. I'm so glad he's feeling better!
[notify]

Jack

Purred: Fri Feb 15, '13 3:38pm PST 
We're all glad to hear everything cleared up! smile
[notify]

Purred: Tue Feb 26, '13 12:40pm PST 
My cat had similar experiences. One thing I found out was he was intolerant to grains! He has to be on limited ingredient food that contains NO grain, it's the only kind he can tolerate. I buy Dick Van Patten's Natural Balance brand.
[notify]