GO!

Lost Voice

This forum is for cat lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your cat.

Yuki

Mommy's- 'Blessing'

Purred: Sat Feb 9, '13 4:06pm PST 
On Friday, I took my little Yuki to have his teeth cleaned. I dropped him off early and picked him up after work. I was told that he had been very chatty after he woke up from the anesthesia. He was very talkative on the ride home as well as once we got home. Now it appears as though he has lost his voice. He tries to meow, but little to no sound comes out. I was given antibiotics to give him after the cleaning.

Is this something I should be worried about or is he just suffering from a sore throat due to overuse yesterday?
[notify]

Yuki

Mommy's- 'Blessing'

Purred: Sat Feb 9, '13 4:08pm PST 
I forgot to add that he is feeling fine otherwise, eating and drinking normally. And he definitely has no problems purring. [:
[notify]

Norman DB#93- 2001-2013

I know you have- chicken & I want- it.

Purred: Sat Feb 9, '13 8:40pm PST 
We have never had that happen to any of us. Perhaps a call into the vet is in order, just to be safe. Please keep us updated.
[notify]

Ben

I fetch,- therefore I am.

Purred: Sat Feb 9, '13 8:44pm PST 
He could have a scratchy throat from the ventilation tube. It is good to check with the vet to be sure, though!

Feel better soon, Yuki! hug

Macy

Super- freakey----MEOW!

Purred: Sat Feb 9, '13 8:45pm PST 
Is it possible that he has some scratches on his throat or mouth from the cleaning?
[notify]

Tambolina

No...the magic- is still- here...!!!

Purred: Sun Feb 10, '13 3:22am PST 
I agree with Ben about the ventilation tube....when I (Jan) had an operation a couple of years ago I developed a bad throat infection afterwards and was told that this often happens...probably the same with cats...

Speak to the vet about it anyway.....it's always better to be sure...

Much love to you and your family

Jan
[notify]

Yuki

Mommy's- 'Blessing'

Purred: Sun Feb 10, '13 10:35am PST 
Thank you all for your replies!

When I woke up this morning, his voice had returned! I think we're in the clear, but I'm going to call the vet on Monday just to make sure. Thank you! [:
[notify]

Tigger

Knead softly &- carry a big purr

Purred: Mon Feb 11, '13 1:50pm PST 
Tigger had this happen when he ate some catnip, and I think a larger stem piece scratched his throat. Glad your kittie's MEOWER is better, but a call never hurts.
[notify]

♥Kall- y- Kat♥

☆Diva- on- Demand☆

Purred: Mon Feb 11, '13 6:58pm PST 
Thanked Catness his voice returned! cheer

Please keep a check on him as I know you are a very loving Momkatt.

When my Kally Kat had her dental she too must have had similar throat issues.

We are all so concerned for you & your precious Yuki! hug

Luvs & purrs,
Kally Kat big hug
[notify]

Beep

Butt-kicker of- all other cats

Purred: Tue Feb 12, '13 1:59pm PST 
I think that is not uncommon after having anesthesia. Glad they are doing better though.
[notify]