GO!

finding a vet/healthcare questions

This forum is for cat lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your cat.

Sipr

Purred: Mon Feb 4, '13 12:38pm PST 
So luckily for annual checkups and shots, I can go to the Army vet clinic which is loads cheaper than civilian clinics (try $25 for the entire visit instead of $220). However, they do not handle emergencies and I usually find I have to schedule a month in advance (and for some reason they're really annoying to get a hold of). Sipr, thankfully has not had any illnesses or emergencies her entire life (going on two years now!), but I know I should have a civilian vet handy just in case something does happen.
One thing I've noticed, is that every vet I've been to seems to push dry food, with the myth that it 'cleans their teeth,' and/or really tries to sell you brands that aren't really good for your pets (you know what I'm talking about), despite how they name them. Is there a way to weed out the vets that do this? Would going to a cat-only vet help?
Could anybody recommend a good vet in the DC Metro area?

I grew up in a small town in the midwest. Paying my pets vet bills were no big deal. I find that is not the case over in the DMV. What basic shots and an annual checkup would cost in MO, that is just the visit fee over here, and I feel that is entirely unnecessary, but I suppose I have to accept it. So I guess another questions I have is- is pet insurance worth it? I think I've seen a few posts that said that a lot of vets don't even accept it. How does it work?

Thanks in advance for any advice!
[notify]

Tia

Tia the- Terrific!

Purred: Mon Feb 11, '13 8:48pm PST 
I'd recommend looking around online. You should be able to find low-cost vets that have good reviews. You may even find some that do military discounts. I have 2 vets I'll take my pets to. One is a little bit more expensive but knows her stuff. The other one is low-cost but farther away.

Also, I have Tia and Angel covered by Healthy Paws insurance. Tia has had a couple bouts with Feline Conjunctivitis and I get reimbursed 90% by the insurance company each time she's been sick. I pay around $60 a month for both pets.

Hope this helps a little bit!
[notify]