GO!

Help, please? Also many apologies.....

This forum is for cat lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your cat.

Lillian

I get cuddles- 'on tap'......

Purred: Mon Feb 4, '13 3:35am PST 
Dear Catster Folk (especially BK and his Meouwmy) Hallo...!!

I would like to have your advice, if you would care to give it....but first I must apologise....I wrote about this problem some time ago, here, on the Health Forum....and had much good advice (most of which I did not take...sorry)...but, after a while, it appeared to have gone anyway....so I wrote, saying:

'Hah...!! I know what it was..!! It was a 'displacement activity' because of pain and unhappiness...but now she (Auntie Miss Lillie) is out of pain with the Metacam and that is why she is no longer pulling her fur out...!! Hah..!!'

Well...it seemed to be so and she stopped pulling her fur out for a while....but now, in spite of the Metacam, she has started pulling her fur out again....

I WAS WRONG.....and now I am (humbly) again asking for help and advice.....she (and all of them) have been deflea-ed; the house has been deflea-ed; I took her to the vet last week.....but she is still pulling her fur out.....

HELP?

Jan
[notify]

Lillian

Purred: Mon Feb 4, '13 3:43am PST 
ps.....I know that this is 'small beer' compared to some of the problems Catster people and pussycats have....but it breaks my heart to see Lillie creeping around with a hunched back (because of the arthritis) and a bald bottom....she looks so 'derelict'...and she is not...believe me she is not......

Jan
[notify]

Lillian

Purred: Mon Feb 4, '13 3:47am PST 
shrug
[notify]

BK

Ambassador at- the Kitty U.N.

Purred: Mon Feb 4, '13 11:35am PST 
Hi Jan! Always nice to see you here, although I wish it wasn't because your baby is having trouble! What is your vet saying? Has he eliminated all possible causes? Done a skin scraping for mites or any other pests? Would it be possible to find a dermatologist where you are? Those of us with allergy kitties immediately think of allergies when we hear about fur loss, but it's important to eliminate all possible causes first. Then you can move on to an elimination diet (feeding one novel protein for 8-10 weeks). It's not a quick process - neither the diagnosis or the treatment!
[notify]

Timmy Tomcat- DB #122a

Ready for Big- Fun

Purred: Wed Feb 6, '13 7:08am PST 
BK is spot on. You need to make sure this is not an allergy or some medical issue. Cats also over groom due to behavioral issues. Stress is one. Are there any new cats in the home or outside? Other changes? New People? Maybe try to really get her busy with play. I know my fellows all get a bit out of sorts if they do not work off that energy. Some cats also respond very well to medication. That is also something to speak to your vet about.
Purrs
Tim and Pops
[notify]

Lillian

Purred: Fri Feb 8, '13 9:27am PST 
Dear BK and Timmy Tomcat....thank you both for your pawmails...I've replied to you both....thank you...

Jan and Lillie
[notify]

Delyte, Dark- Angel, at- Bridge

Me and my- person, together- against all

Purred: Sat Feb 9, '13 2:02pm PST 
Dear Jan and Miss Lillie, on the other thread about infected incision the kitty talks about a special medical shirt for kitties to wear to keep from licking their incisions. Can you find one of those in the UK? We had never heard of it until this kitty brought it up. Delyte did have the same problem two years ago and we never figured out what it was, but wearing his little dog sweater seemed to help.

Do you have any of those terrible insects in the UK that can cause reactions that are way out of proportion to the size of the bite? We have brown recluse spiders and black widow spiders around here, and some areas have scorpions and snakes.

Poor Miss Lillie! We are all sending her our biggest possible purrs and comforts. hug big hug cat on moon
[notify]

Purred: Tue Feb 26, '13 12:47pm PST 
I've heard of cats doing this because of stress. Any big changes to kitties life that maybe they aren't taking so well?
[notify]

Lillian

Purred: Wed Feb 27, '13 4:31am PST 
Dear Delyte and Shelley...We did not reply to you - LIllie and I - we are BAD KITTIES WITH NO MANNERS...!!!

Thanks also to the 'Kitty with no name' for writing on this thread to us....

Auntie Miss Lillie is still pulling her back fur out...well, no...perhaps she is not making it worse...just won't let it grow again....and yes, I have always had it in mind that it is the stress of the pain of her arthritis that makes her do it...!! I have upped her dose of 'Metacam' to 4, in the hope that this will help...and a friend has suggested a herbal remedy-thingy for stress (can't remember what it is called off-hand) that she is using for one of her cats, and it seems to work for him....I am going to look into this today.....

We'll get there in the end...Miss Lillie has done this a couple of times before and eventually her fur has grown back....in the interim, she spends a lot of time sitting on the table (on her own fur rug) just in front of the radiator...except when I play with the laser light with her....she cannot jump or climb...but, by Gawd, she can run.....!!!

Thank you for your interest....

Jan
smile
[notify]