GO!

How to give Miralax with a syringe?

This forum is for cat lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your cat.

Furman- Dexter- Baggins

Purring fur- Rizzy's Nanny- Jan

Purred: Sun Jan 20, '13 5:04pm PST 
Hi Everyone! Does anyone here give their cats Miralax with a syringe? I have been giving Furman Miralax mixed into his canned food every day for a little over a year, but I have been having trouble recently because he does not like canned food. He ended up at the vet last week getting an enema. The vet said I could give him 1cc of Miralax mixed with water or canned food in a syringe instead of putting it in the food. I tried it today and made a mess trying to mix it up and getting it into the syringe. I ended up with more on my shirt then in Furman's mouth.

Any suggestions?? I would appreciate any advicesmile
[notify]

Merlin - An Angel- Forever

*Poof*

Purred: Sun Jan 20, '13 5:56pm PST 
The typical dose is 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon of dry Miralax. How much Miralax are you measuring out and how much water are you using? 1 ml of water isn't a whole lot of liquid in which to completely dissolve the Miralax powder in shrug You need to use more water and do a few syringefuls to get the entire dose of Miralax into Furman.

One the Miralax is dissolved, just stick the end of the syringe into the mixture and slowly pull the plunger up to draw some up. Slide the syringe down the side of the mouth and slowly depress the plunger. Repeat until the entire mixture is used up.

It's easiest to just put the dissolved Miralax into canned food. Were you using pate canned food? Have you tried gravy canned food, stinky fish canned food, or pouched food? Those are usually yummier to a cat. You can even try meat baby food that has no garlic in it. BeechNut is one good brand to use.
[notify]