GO!

Both my babies have ringworm :( need advice

This forum is for cat lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your cat.

Pippie

Ruling The- World, One- Bedroom At A- Time

Purred: Thu Dec 6, '12 11:40am PST 
Pippie and Sallie have ringworm, i would like to know if theres any medicine that would quickly get rid of it. I've been treating them both with conzol 1% for about 3 weeks, Pippie showed signs about 1 1/2 weeks ago and i would like to know if theres a better med out there. I really want them here with us instead of quarantined frown I'm even more upset because it will be their first christmas.. Does anyone have any advice for us?
Thank you
[notify]

Monster

It's all about- me.

Purred: Thu Dec 6, '12 2:46pm PST 
I don't know what the medication is that you're treating your cats with, but if it's something over the counter, it's a waste of time. Your kitties need to see the vet and get prescription treatment.
[notify]

Sundance

Want a Smooch?

Purred: Thu Dec 6, '12 10:31pm PST 
Three of my kittens had one or two tiny spots of ringworm when I brought them home. I'm sure they got it at the shelter. Our vet gave them a prescription drug that I mixed with chicken baby food and syringed in their mouth. The medicine can't be topical because the cats would lick it off and that would make them sick. Although my fourth kitten didn't have ringworm, I had to treat him too since ringworm is contageous and the kittens were always sleeping and cuddling together. So I didn't quarantine them. My vet said my dog could not get ringworm from the kittens (and she didn't), but I did get ringworm. It was just a very small spot on my side and my doctor gave me a topical medicine. It never bothered me and faded away in a few days.

Pippie

Ruling The- World, One- Bedroom At A- Time

Purred: Fri Dec 7, '12 6:44am PST 
Sallie did go to the vet and we were given conzol, it's topical lotion. Pippie started getting it so i treated him too.. I just wanted to know if there was anything else worth using because it's just spreading. Sallie has a big spot of fur missing from her head but thats going away. What medicine did you have? Does it work fast? I woke up almost an hour ago and felt i had a small spot under my arm that looks like a mosquito bite, which its probably ringworm. So i really need something thats gonna get rid of this for the babies frown
[notify]

Sundance

Want a Smooch?

Purred: Fri Dec 7, '12 6:58pm PST 
I don't know what medication it was. I will call the vet Saturday and ask. Because it's an oral medication, it kills the ringworm from within the cat's body so it will not spread or pop up someplace else. Once I started my kittens on the medication the ringworm didn't spread and within 2 days the ringworm spots started to dry up.

Sundance

Want a Smooch?

Purred: Sat Dec 8, '12 6:58am PST 
OK, Pippie, here is the name of the medication from our vet:

griseofulvin

I'll send you a pmail, too.