GO!

PLEASE HELP! Kitten Amputee

This forum is for cat lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your cat.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  

Purred: Wed Dec 5, '12 6:43pm PST 
Hello all,

I am new to this site and am desperately trying to get some feedback. I hope you can help and apologize for the length of this post.

I rescued a newborn kitten in August- so newborn, his eyes were closed and he could not walk yet. Since then I have been caring for him and all has been well except for one of his posterior legs. After many many visits to different vets and lots of second opinions it was discovered Frank (my kitten) has Pythium. In an effort to save his life (and again after many second opinions and lots of antibiotics), my husband and I decided the best option Frank had to live was to amputate his leg.

He had his surgery today and the vet suggested we pick him up so that he could spend the first night after surgery in a familiar place. Frank is EXTREMELY aggressive with other people (he has bitten and scratched up countless vets & vet techs) so she felt that if he were at home he would allow us to help cater to him more than if he were over night at the animal hospital. Long story short is that my kitten is not at all reacting how I have read online other kittens (and older cats) react.

He is extremely aggressive towards my husband and I (he has tried to come at us - something he has NEVER done before the surgery). He is obviously having some trouble and clearly in pain, so I wrapped him up in a towel and was able to give him some pain meds (from what I could put in his mouth) to help with the pain. He keeps rolling around and attacking the bandaged area and when we finally calm him down a bit, he screams out randomly and hysterically (to say the least) every 20-25 minutes.

Can anyone tell me if this is how their cat/kitten reacted to an amputation? Can anyone give me pointers on what I should do to make him less aggressive and get him to warm up to me again. Has anything like this happened to anyone else!?! I am almost inclined to say this is a reaction to the anesthesia, because his behavior is so completely out of the norm I don't even think it is a direct result of the surgery.

I realize all animals can react differently and that he has just gone through something terrible and a major, but I am not able to be around him without him trying to bite me and him get all worked up (which is obviously not good for him). I feel horrible and I just don't know what else to do to help him and also don't know if this behavior is even normal.

Any information anyone can provide is welcome and appreciated. Thank you all so much in advance.

Danielle
[notify]

Alex (sweet- angel girl)

Angel on a- mission!

Purred: Wed Dec 5, '12 7:29pm PST 
Honestly did you call the vet? This warrants a phone call and maybe a follow up visit. He could have had a bad reaction to the anesthesia.
[notify]

Purred: Wed Dec 5, '12 8:06pm PST 
Yes, I called the emergency number because the vet is already closed. I''m on the east coast so it is late here. They told me there is not much i can do and to wait it out- all animals are different. He continues to scream every 20 minutes and I just went to check on him and he really gets crazy. Very angry. To be honest I am nervous he will hurt me. This is not at all what he was like before the surgery.

At this point I don't really know what to do and now I am nervous he will continue to be aggressive towards us and if he doesn't like anyone else what will we do with him. I just can't think of anything else to do.
[notify]

Pudgy

El Presidente

Purred: Wed Dec 5, '12 11:42pm PST 
I'm no expert but I would suggest that the pain and trauma of having major surgery would cause fear induced aggression in any cat. The main thing is to keep him topped up on his pain meds, do whatever you can to make him more comfortable (if possible) and keep an eye on him from a distance. Most likely with time when he gets over the trauma he will be back to normal.
[notify]

Monster

It's all about- me.

Purred: Thu Dec 6, '12 8:45am PST 
It's not uncommon that some cats get crazy when they are recovering from anesthesia. They're dizzy for a while and it takes time for their pupils to get back to normal; until then they can't see properly, which is extremely frightening for a cat. If he is still acting aggressive 24 hours after surgery, take him back to the vet for an exam.
[notify]

Alex (sweet- angel girl)

Angel on a- mission!

Purred: Thu Dec 6, '12 10:39am PST 
I'm on the east coast as well. I hope you decided to call your vet after all. I wouldn't listen to the ER at all. He may be in pain.
[notify]

Delyte, Dark- Angel, at- Bridge

Me and my- person, together- against all

Purred: Thu Dec 6, '12 1:10pm PST 
This is Delyte. Our person had a kitten who reacted this way to getting neutered, which would not be as painful. He is probably both terrified and having a bad reaction to both the anesthesia and perhaps also to the pain medication. If the vet who did surgery on him refuses to do anything about this, you should find another emergency vet who can help him. He should be restrained so he dies not hurt his surgical scar or himself. Good luck!
[notify]

Tambolina

No...the magic- is still- here...!!!

Purred: Fri Dec 7, '12 3:26am PST 
It's Jan and furry family here.....we can't help you on this, but we all just wanted to give you and the little one some support, even if from a distance...we are thinking of you and sending much love and hope to you both....

Jan
[notify]

Purred: Sat Dec 8, '12 8:30pm PST 
Hello everyone,

Thank you so very much for all of your responses! I just wanted to give you all an update on Frank.

Frank definitely gave us a really tough night, but woke up "normal" the next day compared to how he was acting. From what my vet tells me, his reaction was definitely a result of the anesthesia. He has been to his follow up appointment and things look better than expected. He has no swelling and is already running around (with his funny cone). My husband and I are happy to have him back to normal and are praying that his infection did not travel to any other parts of his body. If that is the case, he will completely recover and live a long and happy life as our three legged "son." Thanks again to all of you for your concerns. I will post some pictures of him really soon!!!! smile

Danielle
[notify]

Delyte, Dark- Angel, at- Bridge

Me and my- person, together- against all

Purred: Sun Dec 9, '12 9:45pm PST 
This is Delyte. Glad to hear that he is doing so much better. If it is any use, the kitten we had who suffered a strange reaction after being neutered returned to his sweet nature and lived a long mostly healthy life, dying at age 18. You do need to keep records of this event in his health records so that they do not use that anesthesia again on him, and are very careful of any future surgery. I myself had an enormous operation when I was 10--knocked out for nearly three hours and lost part of my intestines--and had a terrible time recovering, but once I got over it I am still here more than 7 years later. Giant purrs to you from all of us! cat on moon
[notify]

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2