GO!

IBD Medications/Advice

This forum is for cat lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your cat.

Odin

Obey Odin!

Purred: Mon Nov 26, '12 10:39am PST 
Odin has been suffering from IBD (diagnosed) for a few months now, and my wonderful vet has been working with me on various treatment options - the most recent of which being Metronidazole 0.4ml once daily for a month (we finished that round about a month ago), and an Rx Biotic powder added to his canned food daily. He's still so so so skinny despite his ever-present appetite, and I'm taking him in today to discuss starting a Prednisone routine..

Here's my question/concern: Has anyone else had success or failure with Prednisone? I know cats are less likely to fall victim to the side effects (as compared to humans), but it still worries me to put him on steroids confused

He's still eating Blue Buffalo Wilderness Chicken with various flavors of Blue canned food (as per my vet, not to mention I work for Blue Buffalo big grin), but one of our other cats, Checkers, who had some urinary problems, is eating Royal Canin S/O Moderate Calorie, which Odin gets into occasionally and seems to have a flare-up shortly after eating it..

Again, I'm going to continue working closely with my vet, but I just wanted to hear about anyone's personal experiences with IBD and Prednisone.

Thanks so much in advance!! cat on moon
-Odin & his mom
[notify]

Maizy

I may meow to- you if you're- worthy

Purred: Mon Nov 26, '12 2:21pm PST 
Maizy has just started on Prednisolone different from prednisone. It is my understanding that it is a little better with less side affects than regular prednisone. I too have been worrying about it, but I haven't had any problems with her. She actually has transitioned down to 1/2 tablet every other day, and seems ok - as long as she doesn;t eat 1 type of food - she gets sick from it. She is also eating the z/d diet along with canned foods that are limited ingredients. Z/D is hydrolized to help get more nutrition, and has no corn in it. The vomiting has slowed considerably for her. Please visit IBDkitties.org. There is a TON of good info on there.
[notify]

BK

Ambassador at- the Kitty U.N.

Purred: Mon Nov 26, '12 3:25pm PST 
It's actually ibdkitties.NET and Maizy's right - that should be your first stop. Lots of good info and caring parents there! Good luck.
[notify]

Alex (sweet- angel girl)

Angel on a- mission!

Purred: Mon Nov 26, '12 3:31pm PST 
Thank you Maizy and BK. If Odin is still very skinny you need to take the chance and put him on it. He needs to put some weight back on. Ask for prednisolone as it does not have to be converted by the liver as prednisone does.
[notify]

Odin

Obey Odin!

Purred: Thu Nov 29, '12 1:09pm PST 
Thank you all for your advice smile

Odin has been put on Budesonide (1mg/day) as my vet has had numerous clients that have done exceptionally well on the drug (including one of her own cats). However, his eosinophil levels are still high (they've actually doubled since his last blood panel in July), leading us to the conclusion that he has eosinophilic IBD.. All organ functions were perfect, and his urinalysis came back perfect as well. But that diagnosis still bothers me, since I know it's one of the harder types of IBD to manage frown

He's scheduled for a checkup the third week of December, and if his eosinophil levels haven't dropped at all, we're going to get him on a different diet in addition to the Budesonide (which won't be easy, considering Venison and Rabbit are the only two proteins he hasn't been exposed to since I adopted him 6 years ago).

He's doing well since the vet appointment, though - he even seems a little more fiesty and up-beat! But if anyone else has any stories or advice with eosinophilic IBD, please let me know! I'll be sure to look further into that website, as I've only skimmed it in the past!

Love,
Odin & his mom cat on moon
[notify]

BK

Ambassador at- the Kitty U.N.

Purred: Thu Nov 29, '12 3:24pm PST 
You may also want to look into a raw diet as both venison and rabbit are pretty readily available and many IBD kitties have done well on raw. If you're at all interested come on over to the raw forum. Best of luck!
[notify]

Alex (sweet- angel girl)

Angel on a- mission!

Purred: Thu Nov 29, '12 3:28pm PST 
When you look through my website, make sure to look through the Living with IBD case studies. I can't remember if anyone has that type of IBD or not but it's worth checking to see. Budesonide is a good drug, good luck with it! Hope it works for him. way to go
[notify]

Amber

Georgian Blue

Purred: Fri Nov 30, '12 11:16pm PST 
IBD is caused by inflammation of the gastrointestinal tract cells. Over time, it makes it harder and harder for the cat's body to absorb nutrients. Most IBD goes undiagnosed for months. There are actually many types of IBD in cats. They are charactorized by which cells are causing the inflammation. However, not all cats diagnosed with IBD are actually suffering from true IBD. There is no diffinitive cause of IBD. However, most vets believe it is genetic. The intestines have to process a large amount of food. IBD happens when the cat's intestines reacte to a food antigen as a foreign invader. The end result is an inflammed intestinal tract. Most cats react to protein antigens. It's an abnormal immune response to a normal food. Almost all cases of IBD are classified as idiopathic. Vomiting is very common in cats with IBD.
[notify]

Purred: Wed Dec 19, '12 5:02pm PST 
Sorry to hear your baby isn’t feeling well. It’s so upsetting! My cat Brooklyn had a really upset stomach and I went to the veterinarian and he changed her diet. I tried several diets and while they helped a little, what really worked was using a probiotic called Power Probiotic http://www.askariel.com/product-p/81.htm. It was easy for me to use and I just sprinkled it on her food. I thought she would give me a hard time about eating it (she is SO picky!) but was pleasantly surprised. She actually stopped diarrhea. It really did seem to make a difference with her tummy noises too.
[notify]