GO!

Kidney Failure

This forum is for cat lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your cat.

Mr. Nigel

It is Mr. Nigel- to you!

Purred: Sat Nov 24, '12 10:07pm PST 
My sister's cat has kidney failure and she is wondering if her cat is in any pain.
[notify]

Angel Lily

Lovely little- flower

Purred: Sun Nov 25, '12 10:40am PST 
Kidney failure is not painful, you just generally feel like garbage, like when you get the flu, because you get so dehydrated. Canned renal diets help alot when going through kidney disease.
[notify]

Mr. Nigel

It is Mr. Nigel- to you!

Purred: Sun Nov 25, '12 8:07pm PST 
Thank you!big hug
[notify]

Alex (sweet- angel girl)

Angel on a- mission!

Purred: Sun Nov 25, '12 8:47pm PST 
That's not necessarily true. Oftentimes when it's closer to the very end, vets will prescribe pain meds. When any organ is failing, there can be pain involved. Sorry to say that but it's the truth. However, that doesn't mean every cat experiences it and I don't know at what stage of the disease your sister's cat is in. Is it getting B12 injections? If not, he should be. Any wet food is the proper diet for renal disease as dry food just robs the organs of moisture. Is the cat nauseous at all? Nausea is a big part of kidney disease and can interfere with eating.
[notify]

Delyte, Dark- Angel, at- Bridge

Me and my- person, together- against all

Purred: Mon Nov 26, '12 10:21am PST 
This is Delyte. Our male person almost died of kidney failure, and he says it is not painful, but you do feel awful. Something that helps kitties is a dose of fluid under the skin--the excess flushes out the kidney and the toxins that accumulate. The vet can do it and show you how to do it yourself. Wet food and lots of fluids for the cat to drink are the best things to do.

If the kitty has reached the stage where he will not eat, may cry a lot, hangs over the water bowl or just looks like it is suffering, then it is time to go to the Bridge. My person has had this happen several times with her kitties, and she thinks she can recognize it. Right now, I am still in the eating and sleeping a lot stage, but she is watching me and hoping I make it through the holidays.

Good luck with the kitty! cat on moon
[notify]

Amber

Georgian Blue

Purred: Sat Dec 1, '12 9:38am PST 
The kidneys are what filters the toxins out of a cat's body. Medications for hyperthyroidism can cause kidney failure in cats. Tell your sister to keep an eye on her cat's behavior. She needs to be treating this with the help of a veterinarian. The cat will need IV fluids. A prescription diet for kidney failure will also be of great help. Kidney failure is most common in elderly cats of 12+ years. But, as I said before, keeping an eye on the cat's behavior is crucial. Your sister needs to follow the vet's instructions perfectly. There will be good days and bad days. The best she can do is to keep her cat comfortable, as kidney failure is always, eventually fatal.
[notify]

Mr. Nigel

It is Mr. Nigel- to you!

Purred: Mon Dec 3, '12 8:05am PST 
Thank you all for your help. I have forwarded it to my sister.
[notify]