GO!

cracking/bleeding ears

This forum is for cat lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your cat.

Spazzy

The lover

Purred: Thu Nov 22, '12 10:51pm PST 
Spazzy's ears have been beginning to crack and bleed a little right on the edges, its a very dry winter here, so I am wondering if it is only that.
There isn't much blood, but I am wondering if maybe I should put some sort of cream on his ears to keep them from getting so dry?
He is quite a compulsive washer, though I haven't seen anywhere else that is particularily dry.
Any suggestions?
[notify]

Angel Lily

Lovely little- flower

Purred: Fri Nov 23, '12 11:37am PST 
A sign to dry skin would be dandruff, if it truly is, use fish oil. Yet, this sounds like a symptom to the beginning of food allergies. What are you feeding?
[notify]

Spazzy

The lover

Purred: Fri Nov 23, '12 11:12pm PST 
I feed him Royal Canin babycat. but I have been feeding him this for three years, so I really don't think it is the food,

he doesn't seem to be developing more of the cracks, either.
I wonder if I should do nothing and let them heal on their own
[notify]

Angel Lily

Lovely little- flower

Purred: Sun Nov 25, '12 11:00am PST 
Babycat is a first stage kitten formula. You need to find an adult food. And, yes, food allergies start to develop around age 7, and Spazz is 6. I would think about talking to a vet and switching foods.
[notify]

Spazzy

The lover

Purred: Mon Nov 26, '12 10:19am PST 
I realise that, and vets suggested I put him on this food, because he needs so much fat and energy to get around, when I put him on adult food, he gets so skinny, that you can see all of his bones.
So I prefer to keep him on this food.
They are starting to heal, and no new ones have appeared, so I really doubt it was the food.
[notify]

Jingo

Purred: Mon Nov 26, '12 10:51am PST 
Jingo suffers this same problem during the fall/winter, except it's on his paw pads. The absolute best thing I've found to keep them from over-drying and cracking to the point of bleeding is called "Bag Balm". It's been around for many years, and it's totally safe for people and pets smile I use it on my own hands and lips when they get dry!

I'm pretty sure you can get it at most drug stores, but horse/tack stores generally have it too.

Good luck!
[notify]

Amber

Georgian Blue

Purred: Sat Dec 1, '12 8:57am PST 
It sounds like it could be ear mites. They are small parasites that live in your cat's ear wax. The easiest way to clean the ears of wax is with green tea. Put a tea bag in a cup of boiling water. Allow it to soak for five minutes. Then, remove the tea bag and allow the water to cool. Use and eye dropper to apply three drops to each of your cat's ears. Hold your cat's head so he doesn't shake. Massage the ear canals. Then, wipe away excess fluid and wax with a cotton ball. There are also commercial ear cleaners for cats, which you can use. Purchase one from your vet, as these are the most effective. Squeeze some into your cat's ears. Hold his head to keep him from shaking. Massage the ear canals. Then, wipe away excess fluid and debris with a cotton ball. Another solution is oils. Use an eye dropper to add three drops of vegetable oil to each ear. Hold your cat's head to keep him from shaking. Massage the ear canal. Then, use a cotton ball to remove excess moisture and debris. The best way to kill the ear mites is with yellow dock root extract. Add nine drops of yellow dock root extract to one tablespoon of water and apply to the ears with an eye dropper. Hold your cat's head to keep him from shaking. Massage the ear canal. Use a cotton ball to wipe away excess fluid and debris. Repeat every three days for six weeks. If you don't want to take the time to treat the mites at home, go to your vet for some medication.
[notify]