GO!

Regurgitating food

This forum is for cat lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your cat.

Yogi

Purred: Sat Aug 18, '12 2:33pm PST 
My kitty seems to regurgitate his food about 3 or so times a week. He usually does it right after he is finished eating or a few minutes afterwards. I have tried many different things to help him. I've have tried numerous canned foods and dry foods, and I have also been elevating his bowl so he isn't hunched over it while he eats. He is a fairly slow eater, so I don't think that this is caused by him eating too quickly. I have also been giving him small meals, yet the issue still persists. I was wondering if anyone else has any experience with their kitties regurgitating their food, and if anyone has suggestions on anything else I can try to help him.
[notify]

Leo

purrrr

Purred: Sat Aug 18, '12 3:04pm PST 
Yes, after over a year of living here and never throwing up, Leo here started doing the exact same thing as your kitty, exactly twice a week. He showed no other signs of illness. When it lasted over a month I figured it couldn't be a hairball. We went to the vet, who suggested a special food. But I wanted to try slowing him down some first. For him, slowing him down has done the trick. Poor thing....I pretty much just can't give him his favorite flavors anymore. He gobbles them down too fast. But, he likes the other things he eats too. I also adjusted his meal times a bit so he wouldn't be so hungry and wouldn't be served as much at one time.

If I thought the food was the issue, I wouldn't have used the food the vet recommended. I would have researched how to do an "elimination diet" which means eliminating certain things one at a time until you find what in the food they are reacting to.

A trip to the vet is a good idea, of course.
[notify]

Alex (sweet- angel girl)

Angel on a- mission!

Purred: Sat Aug 18, '12 3:09pm PST 
I think a trip to the vet is in order. Regurgitating food so much is bringing up acid back into his esophagus and it can scar it that way and make more problems. A kitty should never throw up this many times per week. He may have what's called a motility problem where the food doesn't stay going downward but comes back up. Or it could be acid reflux. Please bring him in to be seen, the vet should know what's going on as it can get worse and that's the last thing you want, believe me.
[notify]

Yogi

Purred: Sat Aug 18, '12 3:24pm PST 
Thank you for the responses. I plan on making him an appointment, but I was just curious if anyone else has experienced this or had any suggestions to try and help him in the meantime. I have been researching this online and have come across people doing simple things such as feeding an all wet diet or elevating their cat's bowl, and that ended up solving the problem. He seems to also go through phases. Sometimes he will go almost a month with no incidents, and other times it will happen a few times a week. Could it still be something such as acid reflux even though it doesn't happen consistently?
[notify]

Delyte, Dark- Angel, at- Bridge

Me and my- person, together- against all

Purred: Sun Aug 19, '12 12:10pm PST 
This is Delyte. I have been doing this for most of my adult life and I am 17 now. It does come and go. I have other issues--I had surgery on my gut 7 years ago--but I do just throw up sometimes. In the wild, cats are like owls in that they throw up indigestible bits of their prey, so maybe we just feel like we need to do it once in a while. I go and eat some of my people's plants and then do it. None of the plants are poisonous--my favorites are garden herbs that are in food anyway.

And then there are things in even the best cat food that you might be allergic to, or that you just don't digest well. We've all been switched to an all canned diet recently and that cut down on the vomiting a lot. We loved our dry crunchies but sometimes it seemed like they spent more time on the carpet than in us! red face
[notify]

Alex (sweet- angel girl)

Angel on a- mission!

Purred: Sun Aug 19, '12 12:55pm PST 
Delyte is right. Sometimes symptoms may calm down and one little thing can get it all going again. It may very well be something in the food that you're allergic to, which would be great because that's an easier fix. Just have to find the allergen. You'd have to do a protein elimination diet to find out but wait until the vet sees him first and you can go from there.
[notify]