GO!

Tramadol

This forum is for cat lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your cat.

Luna

Queen of the- house

Purred: Tue Aug 7, '12 2:51pm PST 
I just gave Luna her first dose of tramadol and right away she started foaming at the mouth. I called my vet and they told me the pills are bitter tasting. I told them Luna was given the liquid form with tuna flavor and they told me call back if luna still does it.

I called the compounding pharmacy and the pharmacist told me they never heard of a cat foaming from it. Though how he spoke, he sounded so clueless. I asked if maybe they forgot to add the flavoring and he just asked me if I shook it up which I did. I called my vet back and waiting for a call from him.

Is the foaming really from the taste? She isn't acting funny or anything...she is just really ticked off.
[notify]

Arthur (Miss- You!- '93-'09)

Bucket of Fuzz

Purred: Tue Aug 7, '12 10:14pm PST 
I think it's normal for a kitty to foam/drool when something tastes bitter. It might be that the pharmacy didn't add the flavoring, or else the flavoring wasn't enough to hide the taste of the medicine. frown

If the liquid form doesn't wind up working, how is Luna with pills? Have you tried a pill shooter or Pill Pockets?

Arthur used to have to take a bitter medicine in pills, and the vet would break them up and put the pieces inside gelatin capsules. I think compounding pharmacies can even use flavored capsules.

Hope you're feeling better soon, Luna! Keep us posted! hug

Luna

Queen of the- house

Purred: Tue Aug 7, '12 11:48pm PST 
I smelled it and it does smell fishy. They use real tuna and cod liver oil, it could be possible they didn't put enough flavoring.

She has been acting fine, surprised it didn't make her tired since she has been more active and playful.

She can take pills but I think my vet wants her on the liquid since if it effected her too much or wasn't working, it is easier to change and figure out the dosage than having to break up pills.

I am going to try to to shake up the bottle longer this time to make sure everything is mixed and see if that helps.

Thank you!big hug
[notify]

Luna

Queen of the- house

Purred: Thu Aug 9, '12 7:03pm PST 
Okay, I think the tramadol started to make her a little constipated. She struggled to poo at about 3am this morning and it was hard.

I got her laxatone at petco and gave her some and she pooed again a little later.

My vet said there is another med we could try but he doesn't want to put us in the hole with money since we spent so much on her and we are trying to save for her teeth. She needs take tramadol for a month, he said laxatone is very mild and would be safe but he said miralax also works really well and we could try that. He also told me to try to lower the dose but he said she is already getting the lower-end of the dose and worries it may not work as well.

I read about miralax and it said it's good for short term use but would a month be to long?

Just don't know what to do, the tramadol has been working super well. She has been able to eat food without any problems and her mood as increased and been better even though she hates me for a little bit after I give it to her.
[notify]

Gumpy Sweet- Boy

Love wrapped in- fur

Purred: Sat Aug 11, '12 9:50am PST 
Glad to hear you changed meds and the tramadol is helping. Gump has foamed and drooled with a couple meds; it does happen with some meds. Another thing for constipation that some people use is canned pumpkin (no flavorings, just plain canned pumpkin). We haven't used it for this, but have seen it recommended quite often and it seems to work well as a more natural alternative.

Luna's lucky that you are looking out for her and taking such good care of her. Hopefully her mouth issues will be resolved.

Have fun being the Diary of the Day! YAY! party
[notify]