GO!

Need help wiht Starbuck binging on food! Long post!

This forum is for cat lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your cat.

Starbuck

If I can't eat- it, I'm not- interested.

Purred: Thu Aug 2, '12 12:14pm PST 
The vet recently told me that Starbuck is overweight. We quickly changed his feeding schedule from all kibble to canned food int he morning and kibble only at night, knowing that if he could have the "good stuff" in the morning he would be less likely to fill up on less desirable kibble at night. His appetite was already decreased from an abscess (the reason we were at the vet in the first place) and he's been on antibiotics since then which could also be affecting his appetite. He's been nibbling at 3oz cans in the morning, never finishing them, and never touches his kibble in the evenings. His personality has not been effected though. He is playful with our new kitten and affectionate towards us.
Recently we've been finding the can we keep his kibble in open every morning. The first time I thought I must have forgotten to close it or had not closed it all the way and the dogs might have gotten into it. The next time I was convinced that the dogs must have learned how to push the lid off the can. So I moved the can onto our balcony where so the dogs couldn't get to it while we were gone.
Yesterday I took the dogs to work with me. When my boyfriend got home he found the screen door opened just wide enough for Starbuck to get through and the can open. Then he ate a some of his kibble that night, which he hasn't done in weeks. But he didn't touch his canned food this morning.
I suspect he is doing his now because he wasn't filling up in the morning but didn't want the kibble in the afternoons. Then I think he got hungry midday and once he realized he could open the can he just decided to binge on kibble. He will literally make himself sick on the kibble. He pretty much inhales it and then vomits it all back up later.
I don't want my kitty to be starving in the middle of the day, but I also know he needs to lose weight and I definitely don't want him binging on kibble. Should I offer a third feeding when I get home from work? I really don't know what to do to keep him happy and healthy. Any advice would be wonderful!
[notify]

Smithwick

Tigger is my- favorite!

Purred: Fri Aug 3, '12 8:58am PST 
hehe what a stinker! Smitty has been known to open the tupperware container his food is in, & him & Tigger gorge. I wathced him do it once, how he sneaked & looked to see if anyone saw him. He is on a diet too. I work from home, so it is a bit easier for me to do this, but I give him his allotted amount of either canned or some kibble spread thru the day - breakfast, lunch, dinner, snack. It seems to hold him better than when I fed that same amount just 2x day. So maybe try & split his amount when you get home, and a snack. Sometimes I keep a few kibbles out and then he is able to "get a treat" and thinks it is a big deal.
[notify]

Starbuck

If I can't eat- it, I'm not- interested.

Purred: Mon Aug 6, '12 9:23am PST 
It turns out he just really hated the canned food I was feeding him. MOL! I rotate through a variety of foods and recently found TONS of Wellness 3oz cans for only .30 a can! So I bought every single one. Starbuck had never been a picky eater, especially with canned food. But he really hates this stuff. Today I finally tried giving him a can of something else and he ate the whole can. Then I tried mixing some Wellness with there food and he ate that fine. Hopefully he will stop searching for other food now. He actually opened the big can of dog food last night.
[notify]