GO!

declawing at 7 and other questions

This forum is for cat lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your cat.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
♥- Nina- ♥- rehomed

Jellybean the- queen <3

Purred: Fri Jul 20, '12 4:12pm PST 
Hello kits, it's been a while since I've been on catster. I really am not on here much these days, no time. frown I think it would help to give a bit of background on what is happening before getting to my questions. This is gonna be a rather long post, so brace yourselves.

My mom hasn't been doing too well for the last 4 years. Not that she was ever really healthy in the first place, but since 2008, she has fought off 2 cancers, and while she has been successfully treated, she is far from out of the woods, and quite honestly may never be. When one thing is treated, something new occurs shortly after. My mother is truly a canundrum. It has now gotten to the point where she and my father will have to sell the house and move into a retirement community that doesn't allow pets. My parents looked everywhere but unfortunately there aren't any pet friendly retirement communities around here. frown This means that we will have to leave Jellybean with a very good family friend who is a cat lover and is very happy to take on Jellybean. smile

Now here's the other thing. I will be moving to Texas for school and may stay permanently. My parents have bought a house there so they could stay for the winter months, as the warmer climate would be better for my mom. Another reason they're moving with me for the first little while is that I have a disability, and although I will be living on campus, my parents wanna be close to me in case I need any extra help. They of course will be returning to Canada when the weather gets warmer. Jellybean is definitely a mommy's girl, and my mom is having a harder time letting her go as time is getting closer. She is now considering taking Jellybean to Texas, even though she has high stress and does not travel well. I know my mom is not thinking this through very well, because what would we do with Jellybean when my parents are back in Canada several months at a time? I cannot have her on campus with me, and I am nowhere in a position to find a place on my own until I get some kind of part time job in or around school, which most likely won't happen till 2014. We do have a friend in Texas who would be very happy to foster Jellybean when my parents are back in Canada, but my dad said that we would have to get Jellybean declawed on account of this lady's other 2 declawed cats and the fact that Jellybean is a bit snarky with other animals. I first of all am against declawing, and I know my mom would blow a gasket at the very thought, and wouldn't you agree that 7 is way too old to get declawed? Jen our family friend is very respectful and supportive of whatever decision we make, whether it's leaving Jellybean with her or bringing her to Texas. My first question is, can declawed and clawed cats successfully coexist? Secondly, what would you do if you were in our situation? I personally would rather leave her with Jen, but the ultimate decision is my mom's, as Jellybean was for her in the first place. I would love to hear your opinions. Please note that I have kept rather quiet about this on catster for a long time because I've seen way too many people get flamed for rehoming their pets (although in some cases I can see why), and I do not wish to receive the same treatment. Therefore, I would much appreciate educated and well thought out opinions. smile
[notify]

Spook

Call me Mr.- Spookitty

Purred: Fri Jul 20, '12 6:47pm PST 
It's never an easy decision when you have to find a new home for your pet. Personally I would not declaw my adult cat. I have known clawed and declawed cats that live together just fine. As with introducing any new cat it would just have to be done slowly. And in my experience female cats can sometimes take longer to warm up to other cats. Only you and your family know what is best for your pet, it sounds like she would be happiest with the family friend in Canada. Hope that helps. Best wishes!

hughughug
[notify]

Alexander,- Dreamboat- #110

I am really a- lap dog in- disguise.

Purred: Fri Jul 20, '12 8:09pm PST 
It is too bad that your parents didn't find a pet friendly senior community. We found one and the pets help their seniors do well. I would not declaw my cat for anyone and she should do well if the introductions are done slowly. Declawing cats have a difficult time with litter too. Their paws are very sensitve to litter and will hurt for a long time. You may create a problem with declawing. I could not leave a cat with someone who will declaw them in the future. Rehoming, I can understand but not this. Be careful where you rehome your cat with. Hope all goes well.
[notify]

Shannara

Biscuit Maker

Purred: Fri Jul 20, '12 8:54pm PST 
Just my thoughts:
Being moved to Texas, rehoming AND being declawed -- 3 major situations in her life would be so much for Jellybean to handle. And I don't think being declawed at her age is a very good idea.

Leaving her with a cat-loving friend in Canada is still a major upheaval, but not so much stress as the other choice.

Candie

Leave me alone!

Purred: Fri Jul 20, '12 10:19pm PST 
My sister has two Birmans with claws and a rescue Himalayan that was declawed when she got her. The girls do fight. But no one gets hurt. Please buy the nail caps over declawing. And the cat pheromones come in collars, stray or a plug in.

(If it was a problem of clawing the furniture I would buy packing tape and tape your furniture. We did that with Candie. I bought 5 new scratchers. She forgot about the furniture. I even bought a muzzle to clip Candies claws. 7 months later I'm not using the muzzle anymore.)

Please do caps first.
[notify]

Cookie

Being cute is so- exhausting!

Purred: Sat Jul 21, '12 8:15am PST 
Declawing is illegal here in the U.K and i agree with the other posters who say please dont do it.
[notify]

Neko

Purred: Sat Jul 21, '12 11:58am PST 
Ty was declawed (before we knew better) and Neko, Chewy and Smudge have their claws and Ty has never been injured and they get along fine.
You could use nail caps.
[notify]

♥- Nina- ♥- rehomed

Jellybean the- queen <3

Purred: Sat Jul 21, '12 2:43pm PST 
I agree with everybody, I don't wanna do it either. Not only is it cruel, but the thought of it really grosses me out. frown I actually did know about the nail caps. I think they're called soft paws? Gosh, why did I not think of that? I am sure my dad won't end up making us declaw Jellybean, but at that time, he had the safety and well-being of the other cats on his mind, and that was a fear he had because Jellybean could be a fighter, and he was afraid the declawed cats wouldn't be able to defend themselves. Both Jen and our friend Angela in Texas have declawed cats, and I'm sure they did it before they new better. Before my mom got sick, she swore up and down that she would never bring Jellybean to anybody's place that had other pets because she knows Jellybean's attitude. I love Jen and Angela, but I wish my mom was more flexible about who she rehomed Jellybean with. I know a lot of people who would make great pet parents and would be more than happy to take on Jellybean, but unfortunately it is not my decision to make. My mom has to know the new family very well and know everything about them, and in the end, she will be the one to judge if they're good enough for her baby. I would tell you what kind of family my mom is looking for, but there is no quick and simple explanation, and I'd hate to offend anyone. If you want a detailed explanation, send me a pmail and we could talk about it privately. At one point I did consider rehoming Jellybean with my ex boyfriend while we were still together. He is a cat lover to boot and while he would've been a great owner and been more than happy to take her on, we did not have a very nice breakup, so he doesn't deserve to have anything to do with me or my pets.

Alexander, unfortunately the retirement homes around here don't allow pets, but I agree, it would be very nice for the senior citizens. I don't know why they don't allow pets. I think it has something to do with their central air and they're worried that some of the residents might be allergic. frown
[notify]

Mr D - D'boat #19

Yikes!

Purred: Sun Jul 22, '12 1:28pm PST 
I wouldn't like to be in your shoes. It's hard leaving a kitty at the best of times but to put her through that would also haunt you. If Jellybean is a fighter she'll probably find some other way to defend herself not to mention she'll probably be miserable. I think you would feel guilty especially if something goes wrong. Look into Jellybeans eyes, then at her lovely paws and ask yourself is it worth it, could you do that, and would you live with regret for the rest of your life. Then you will have your decision. Maybe you can put a flyer up at your vet clinic asking if someone can look after Jellybean for you. Or maybe the old boyfriend even though you don't get on, if he liked Jellybean and Jellybean got on well with him maybe he might be the best option. shrug For Jellybeans sake.
Good luck with your move
[notify]

♥- Nina- ♥- rehomed

Jellybean the- queen <3

Purred: Mon Jul 23, '12 12:03pm PST 
OK kits, we're not gonna declaw Jellybean. It was just a thought that crossed my dad's mind for a second, something he thought we'd have to do if push came to shove, but we're not going that route. I'm sorry if my post came off as if we were absolutely positively gonna do it. confused I would also like to thank everybody for not flaming me for doing what we have to do. It is a very heart breaking decision, but one that we can't avoid given our circumstances. frown We adopted Jellybean in 2005 when I was still in high school and my mom was relatively healthy. . We had no way of knowing how sick she would become in 2008 and just get worse from there. To give you a breakdown of what my mom has been through, she has fought both thyroid and breast cancer in the last 4 years, the first of which had already gone to the third stage, and the latter only at the first stage, thank catness. She has also fallen 3 times and recently had an accident with the conveyor belt at the DFW airport in Texas. Next week she will have to take more radioactive treatment for the thyroid. To top it all off, she has severe osteal parosis, so has a very hard time with stairs and cannot do the kitty litter, so it has become mine and my dad's job. My mom's faith and determination is what keeps her going, as well as the Jelly girl, so it'll be the most heartbreaking for her to not have Jellybean anymore. I personally think leaving Jellybean with Jen is the best option. That way my parents can visit when they return to Canada. My mom and Jen see each other several times a week anyway, so there would be plenty of visits. My mom has also said in the past that if anything happened to her, she would want her animals to go to Jen.

Josh the ex never met her. I was the one who went to see him. After our last visit, he has not answered any of my phone calls/emails. I've only called him after the breakup just for the hell of it, no particular reason. I was bored and had no one else to talk to. I probably wouldn't give him Jellybean now even if we were still together because he's moving to a different place with 3 other guys that I don't know in the fall, so my mom would say no. I only considered rehoming Jellybean with Josh when we were together and our relationship was good. He had talked about getting a cat, and that's when I considered giving him Jellybean. After our breakup, I figured if he didn't have the time and patience for me, why would I give him the most precious member of my family?

Have any of you ever had to rehome animals before? Would you ever rehome them with ex's? I personally wouldn't because if they don't want me around, I am not gonna give them the most precious members of my family. Jellybean has been in my life a lot longer than Josh has. Even though I say I'm not too into her, everyone knows it's not true. With Josh, I'd always worry about whether I'd hear from him, whether I'd see him, and have to plan out every visit. Jellybean was always there 24-7. I was only with Josh for 1 month, and Jellybean was in my life for 7 happy years. I think the rehoming of Jellybean will help me discover what the most important things in life are.

Sorry for the long post, just needed to get that out there.
[notify]

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2