GO!

how do you handle a rainbow bridge crossing

This forum is for cat lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your cat.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Baybee (in- loving- memory)

Attack of the 3- legged Demon

Purred: Thu Jul 12, '12 3:32pm PST 
I have had a cat die on me - last one was in 2010 - named stormy- I can't put up a catster page on her b/c I still can't look up her photos - it hurts too much.

On Saturday I am having to put my almost 5 year old kitty to sleep.

When she has a BM she will just lift her tail and go WHEREVER whenever, she won't even TRY to make it to the litter box - and it's 100% LIQUID AND MUCUS - she's skinny, scrawny, she'll lay in her own feces and urine (which she also loses control of)

Saturday at 3pm EST she'll get one more look over by the vet (she's about 4-5lbs IF that) and he'll let her cross the bridge. He'll allow me to hold her. (or 'hug' her b/c she hugs with her one paw up front)

I'm horribly upset already I'm gonna be a MESS on Saturday. I know it's for the best. She's prob suffering - it's also unhealthy for my family to have her going to the bathroom everywhere (and I do mean everywhere (chairs, floor, sink, tub, my desk, on dishes, by the food bowl, by the water bowl, you name it, she'll poop there)
[notify]

Purred: Sat Jul 14, '12 8:04pm PST 
well, I know no one responded, but Baybee crossed the rainbow bridge at 344pm today.

by today she couldn't even jump anymore. I know she is at peace
[notify]

Macy

Super- freakey----MEOW!

Purred: Sat Jul 14, '12 9:56pm PST 
I am sorry no on responded to you, and I am not sure why, but I just really can't tell you how to get ready for one of our furbabies to go to the bridge. When my fuzzy cat was diagnosed with terminal cancer, I went through all the phases of grief, I went from denial to anger to depression when the time finally came. I dealt with the what ifs and the woulda coulda souldas and it still was so painful that I still cry when I think of him.

I guess what it boils down to is to always remember the wonderful life we gave them while they were with us, and that they are at the bridge waiting for us, healthy and happy.

I am so sorry for your loss, I know how painful it is.
[notify]

RADDY (my- heart's- darling)

I am still my- Meouwmy's- Beloved....

Purred: Sun Jul 15, '12 5:45am PST 
Oh Baybee's Meouwmy ...I am so sorry...it is me, here, Jan.....three years ago, almost at this time , Joseph Conrad went to the Rainbow Bridge......he and I (Jan) are crying for you and, indeed, we are crying for me, too......they come, they stay awhile, and then they go.....and you have to live with it.....

I, Jan, miss the Joseph Conrad SO MUCH....I will never get over it.....but you must try to go on.....Conrad sent me the Jimmy Riddle....(have a look at his page)....and we go on and we love the kitties that we have.....

So, so sorry for you.....just keep trying... and, perhaps, a new babby?

Jan
[notify]

Lily

I will- survive!!!

Purred: Mon Jul 16, '12 7:25am PST 
Hi - I don't come here so often, but a friend of mine told me about this thread and that no one had responded frown So first I am sorry that your Baybee has gone, but remember she is at peace now and free of pain. As for yorself always remember that you have nothing to reproach yourself for because you did the right thing. When we take on a pet we know that their lifespan is shorter than ours, and that these things will inevitably happen. Of course it is tough for us, but no one wants to let their animal suffer, and euthanasia is the kindest thing for a sick animal with no chance of recovery. All you can do is be with the pet, cuddle them, hold them, let them hear your voice, and tell them that you love them. They will be at peace because they trust you. The last thing they hear as they cross to The Bridge is your voice telling them that you love them, and that is all they want.

As for yourself - just give yourself time to grieve. Many people will sneer and say "it was only a cat" and they won't understand your pain, but for a dedicated pet lover, a loss is no different to the loss of a family member, and you must give yourself time and space to grieve and not be ashamed if you cry in public or feel bereft - take as long as you need to heal and don't let people tell you differently.

My old cat Sasha died in February - he was 18 years old. I had him cremated and his ashes are in a beautiful wooden casket in the shape of a sleeping cat. I don't want to bury him - I keep the casket on the shelf with a vase of flowers next to it - he always loved flowers. The other cats who have passed over the years are buried in my garden and I have planted a rose tree for each to mark their resting place and act as a flower of remembrance.

Once again - I am sorry for your loss.
[notify]

Miss Maxi

Always a- pleasure, never- a chore.

Purred: Mon Jul 16, '12 7:33am PST 
Dear Baybee's Meowmy, I am so sorry to read that you were alone during the crossing over rainbow bridge.
Miss Maxi is my first cat (we had cats growing up, but she is the first cat I have become a Meowmy to) so I don't have experience in this area, but myself and Miss Maxi will keep Baybee and you in our 'good thoughts'.
With love and hugs,
Hannah and Miss Maxi
[notify]

Natasha

Princess Forever

Purred: Mon Jul 16, '12 8:12am PST 
When my Ben crossed, I was there with him to help him. My husband was with me too. We have a ceremony when my daughter came. We remembered him and his experiences with us. I had shrimp in his honor. He had cancer and needed to be crossed so he would not have any more pain. They are out of pain while we still experience it for some time afterward. Natasha just crossed last December 3rd, 2011. Her iris melanoma had spread to her liver. It was a burden for her to be with us so we released her. It still makes me sad but I know that she tried to stay longer but she couldn't. As before, we were with her and held her paw. I had both cats cremated so their ashes are next to each other. .......I did get a kitten in June. She is helping our Alex as he missed Natasha. Alex is now getting to play as he hasn't in some time. As much as I miss Ben and Natasha, I would still help them cross when their time came. They will always be special to me and I will never forget them. It is better to have them when you can than never have met them....Grieve but remember that you released them from their burden to fly to the Bridge......I am sorry for your loss.
[notify]

Tigger

Knead softly &- carry a big purr

Purred: Mon Jul 16, '12 4:22pm PST 
oh gosh I am so very sorry for you. IT is such a hard thing, but try to remeber the good times, and that you gave the ultimate gift to a kitty that could not go on. I feel so bad, I was not on last weekend, and I always try to look for those posts that have not been answered to try & help. Sending you hugs.hug
[notify]

Purred: Tue Jul 17, '12 4:15pm PST 
Thank you guys, it has been a hard few days. That night I got a tattoo to remember her (it was either that or eat gluten food and I have celiac ) I have two paw prints one for her and one for Stormy the kitty I lost two years ago - it's on Baybee's page. I felt nothing. The pain was so numb

I'm still numb.I keep looking for her

Here's here "life story" if you want to read it

http://www.catster.com/cats/752233/diary/My_whole_story/788772
[notify]

Delyte, Dark- Angel, at- Bridge

Me and my- person, together- against all

Purred: Tue Jul 17, '12 6:27pm PST 
This is Delyte. We are sorry that we didn't get to you before you had to send Baybee to the Bridge. Our person reads things but she has a hard time sitting for long so she doesn't write as much. She has had two cats and a dog go to the Bridge at the vet's office, and it is horribly emotionally painful even if you know the pet is terribly ill. We cried so much that it almost wasn't safe for us to drive. It was just as bad when we came home one day and found another young cat had been hit by a car and when one cat went out for a walk and never came back. Losing a pet is such a wrenching experience, and of course the longer you have them and the closer you are, the worse it is. There have been people posting on this list who have had a cat in their family since they were babies themselves and they never knew any other cat. It was like their mother dying, as painful, even when you know the cat is very old and ill.

We believe they are happy on the Bridge, and some people think that they come back to visit their people in dreams or at other times. If you remember them, they still survive. You know that you relieved a life of pain and misery, and even if a cat might nt understand, you did the right thing. Many vets try to make it as easy for the animal as possible and very painless. Since it is so hard to provide pain relief to cats when they are alive, the moments before death might be a great respite for them.

Giant purrs to you from all of us, and we hope that you can work through the pain of the passage. Eventually, a new kitty helps, but not too soon, and you are the best judge for yourself. hug
[notify]

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2