GO!

Keeping cats cool in 90-100 degree weather

This forum is for cat lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your cat.

Baron

Purred: Mon Jul 2, '12 10:06am PST 
My kitties are all laying around on their typical cat beds which are blankets, fleece and bath mats. It is 90 degrees in the house (no ac) and I was just wondering how to tell if and when a cat is overheated. I just want to be cautious and aware of symptoms and such. I'm not concerned with any of them, just curious.

We have a basement which is about 15 degrees cooler but they prefer to be upstairs and won't lay on the hardwoods.

I've added some extra water to their wet food and have put out a few extra bowls. But what else can I do?

Thanks!
[notify]

Monster

It's all about- me.

Purred: Mon Jul 2, '12 10:11am PST 
Sounds like you're doing everything right. Kitties will lie wherever they want; it's it not comfortable, they'll move to another place. Cats evolved on the hot plains of Africa and can tolerate it very well.
[notify]

Orange Ruffy

The Baboo Kitty- has Spoken!

Purred: Mon Jul 2, '12 10:27am PST 
We have AC, but mom has it on 72 energy saver during the day in the front room, and she usually just open the windows in the bedroom for Natalie and puts on a fan. There is always fresh cool water.

What mom has done in the past is wet some of us down when the AC wasn't working...during a power failure. Have I mentioned during that she and Dad took the garden hose and squirted each other with it? AS it was outside, and I was inside in house, this did not happen to me, thank Celing Cat. But I was wet in the sink.

My fur sibs seem to enjoy the warm....Bella 'cooks' herself in the sun even when it's hot, then gets up, goes and lays on the shady part of the couch. Mommy's vet tech friend says older cats don't retain heat as well. As I have breathing problems, Mom gets nervous when I lay around in the bedroom without the air on...Natalie seems to do just fine.....but I seem to prefer the windowsill there than the air on in the living room.

I'd say:

lots of cool fresh water available
shady places to lay....my shady place is under and end table.
Cool wood or tile fllor to lay on.
A fan that doesn't blow directly at us but circulates the air.
[notify]

Tigger

Knead softly &- carry a big purr

Purred: Mon Jul 2, '12 2:24pm PST 
last summer when my air was not hooked up yet, and it got very hot 1 day - I worried about Tig's heart condition. They all just looked miserable. I took a cool washcloth & wiped their paws/pawpads & face off. That seemed to help as the paws are sensitive to temperature. I also put a couple ice cubes in their bowl. Smitty had fun playing with "that thing floating in the water" and cooled off his paw & got some cool water to drink. If they really seem in distress such as heat stroke, then I would wet them down, but I would reserve that only if it is serious conditions. A fan moving air even if it is not bringing the temp down is a good idea too. I personally think it bothers us humans more than them. Kitties just seem to go with the flow & find a cool spot to nap.
[notify]

Merlin - An Angel- Forever

*Poof*

Purred: Mon Jul 2, '12 4:53pm PST 
Try a cooling mat:
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=24430
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3307+20816+22022&pcatid=22022

Some symptoms of heat stroke:

Restless behavior as your cat tries to find a cool spot
Panting, sweaty feet, drooling, excessive grooming in an effort to cool off
Rectal temperature is usually normal to slightly elevate
Rapid pulse and breathing
Redness of the tongue and mouth
Vomiting
Lethargy
Stumbling, staggering gait
Rectal temperature is over 105° F

Keep the window shades/blind pulled down and the curtains closed to keep out the sun.

Leave a fan out to provide a somewhat cool breeze.

Put ice cubes in the water bowl. Maybe even partially freeze a bowl of water and let that sit out to slowly thaw. The cats can lap up the melting cool water.
[notify]